Vitamin Bike Added

Avid Juicy Three total garbage or is it just me?

Just bought a bike second hand with juicy 3s and they are weak as heck.. To the point of being dangerous on downhills [cannot lock them out]. I've bled and adjusted them and they still won't lock but just slowy decelerate the bike. I have juicy 7s that are pretty solid on y stumpy and even set of bb5s on a bike that rock but I hate these things- Anyone had trouble with these brakes and know how I can make them usable? Cheers.
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    When you are bleeding, don't forget to set the lever reach to about 85mm from blade tip to the bar. If this is not done, you can get the mushy feeling you are describing. I'm not sure of the specifics of why this matters, but I can speak from experience that it causes a very indecisive bite if you don't do it.

I've found very few brakes that are completely unsafe, even low end mech discs. I wouldn't take them on a downhill, but almost everything can be made to grab solidly.

FKA Malibu412
    Pads may be contaminated. Try changing and scuffing up the rotors.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    They're WAY better than bb5's IMO. I bet the pads got contaminated with fluid or oil. I'd try a new set of pads.

Edit: haha Malibu you beat me by seconds!
    whatever...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've had decent luck with mine, that said I just upgraded. They came stock on my sx trail then I put hopes on and the juicy went on the xc bike. Tomorrow xt's are replacing the juicys. But I'm keeping them for spares.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    They're WAY better than bb5's IMO. I bet the pads got contaminated with fluid or oil. I'd try a new set of pads.

Edit: haha Malibu you beat me by seconds!
    Yep. However, I don't agree about the BB5s. I have BB5s that will one finger lock up both ends.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Vitamin Bike Added
    Yeah I'm thinking it's got to be pads. I guess I will try a clean first to see if they can be salvaged. You guys do isoprpyl on the pads? Can I just use a fine grit sand paper or must it be emery paper? Worth while to bake or dish wash pads? Never had to clean pads before, just replace worn ones. Thanks for all the help fellas
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I had a crash last week and now my rear Jucy 3 is doing the same thing, it sound like it could be dirt or something else. I'll look at them and clean them in the next couple of day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Had similar issues with my Elixir 5's. Did a lever rebuild, new fluid, and new pads. They are back to normal now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by weverb View Post
    Had similar issues with my Elixir 5's. Did a lever rebuild, new fluid, and new pads. They are back to normal now.
    Now did you replaced seal, O-rings and the plunger or just cleaned the entire thing and re-installed as well?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Crzpete View Post
    Now did you replaced seal, O-rings and the plunger or just cleaned the entire thing and re-installed as well?
    Replaced everything (o ring, etc.) with a rebuild kit and new fluid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    a good bleed and run the jetwash down your caliper (on a low setting) to blow any crap out . de glaze the pads with some sandpaper. if you contaminate your pads brake cleaner wont help you will have to heat the pads up with a blowtorch and burn out the fluid.(at your own risk)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Not great but decent brakes. My braking performance has always been decent however sometimes they dont want to work. I would try just new pads and see where that takes you

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Crzpete View Post
    Ok, plunger is good and checked the rear caliper components. The seals are good and the pads has some dirt and mud but all are ok. I did notice a small chip on the plastic caliper piston on the outside that contacts to the pad, looks like sand or a very small rock some how got between the piston and the pad and cracked the piston or the last time it was at my local shop the used the wrong tool to open sped the caliper piston. Don't think this will couse any issues but order a rebuild kit just in case. Is working good but I am not 100% satisfy, will see next time I ride the bike.