mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Avid Juicy Seven on par with Shimano XT ?

I want to upgrade my old Deore 555 disc brakes as brake pads are becoming real scarce. Avid Juicy's seems like fairly good brakes and pads are readily available. Are the juicy seven on shimano XT level or LX level. My old 555's with XT servowave levers were great and I want something similar or better. Opinions ?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have a new set of the XT servo wave brakes. I don't find them to be any more powerful than the Deore 555's I had previously. I am searching for some affordable (maybe used) Juicy 7s instead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i'm running XT with alligators on the SS and J7s on the race bike. I run 7/6" f/r. both run standard pads. At the moment, the bleed in the XT is not so good so the feel in the J7s is far better (but this will soon be fixed).

outright power? i don't think i could really split them - I'm 100kg (220lbs) plus gear and both setups pull me up with good modulation and power.

the thing you haven't considered is rotors - the full XT kits come with splined rotors, where as the J7s will all be bolt ups. what wheels are you running? CL or 6 bolt?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you want avid juicy sevens with 8 inch rotors shoot me a PM with a decent offer...I just replaced with XT's...much better on my bike...The XT's are a great match on my Hi-Fi, the sevens might have been too much, not a real fan...