Liaison

Avid Juicy Seven brake pad eject

This is the second time this has happened. I'd like some feedback before I take the bike to my LBS.

Goin' downhill taking hits from some cross trail ruts and baaam, suddenly no rear brake power and a goofy squeaking noise. Flip the bike over, pull the back wheel and one of the pads is gone. The squeaky noise is from the edge of the retainer clip that got bent in the direction of the disc and is making slight contact. Luckily I was able to go back up the trail and find the other disc. It seems like the hits and gravity are just acting to eject the pad downwards and out of the brake.

My buddy just says, "get Shimanos" but I'd like to know if I should totally give up on these brakes. It would cost some bucks but my friend's point is that you don't want to be out in the middle of Thunder Mountain and lose your back brake.
    SDMBA Liaison, Sycamore Canyon/Goodan Ranch Open Space Preserves

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There is a protrusion on the face of the pistons the fits into a hole on the back plate of the pad. check to make sure it has not been broken off.

Has it been the same pad that came out twice?

Liaison
    gmcttr, thanks for the super quick reply.

I think it's the same pad. The first time I just took it straight to the LBS. This time I was more proactive and looked to see what was going on myself.

Is the protrusion you're talking about in the middle of the piston? I take it if I look at it edge on and don't see it coming out beyond the piston edges then it's broke off?

Now the real question... what do I have to replace in order to fix this?

What It Be ?
    The little deal is on the piston the pad snaps onto it. I've been running J7s for a year no no issues other then the usual noises.

mtbr member
    It would appear to me that when the first time the pad came off and you hit the brakes, your rotor probably fvcked up the little protrusion on the piston that holds the pad on. That would explain why the pad comes off again. Take both pads off and look both piston to see if one is damaged. If it is, you need a new piston.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    It would appear to me that when the first time the pad came off and you hit the brakes, your rotor probably fvcked up the little protrusion on the piston that holds the pad on. That would explain why the pad comes off again. Take both pads off and look both piston to see if one is damaged. If it is, you need a new piston.
    And along with a new piston you would need to bleed the system.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    hey also make sure you are installing the pads correctly........mainly, make sure that you spread the calipers as wide as possible before inserting the pads.....you should not be able to see the inner caliper at all when you look down at the brakes...

second, when you insert the pads, make sure you have them seated all the way down into the brake body.......you should actually hear them click and you may have to use some force to press them down until they snap into place. This step can actually be a pain in the ass depending what kind of mounting post you have because it usually gets in the way.....add to this the fact that the spreader clip wants to spread the pads apart while you are doing the opposite of squeezing thm together to slide them in all the way.. Remove the brake from the post if you have to make sure you get the pads all the way in.
    For comparison look at your other brake.

All the times I have had a brake pad eject, it was because I had not seated them all the way down.....

Liaison
    Thanks everyone. I checked the front pads and definitely felt the click. I also noticed the pins protruding from the pistons. I checked the back and didn't see the protrusions there.

I took the rig to my LBS and my guy said that the pads don't seat into the protrusions, they seat as suggested by osmarandsara in the little clip at the top of the assembly. While there ('cause they were busy) I just monkeyed around with it. The silver clip was a little loose so one of the guys bent it so it fit a little more snugly in the mount, then I pushed and as mentioned, really put some pressure on until there was a loud "click." I hope that does it.

Thanks for all your help. I really love my bike (Fisher Hi-Fi Pro) and besides the "avid squeak" everything is cool. I guess I will add "check brake pad seating" to my every third ride maintenance check.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The back pistons should be the same as the front. Either I'm nuts (a strong possibility), or you need to find a new LBS.

The protrusion makes it impossible for the pads to fall out with the rotor in place. The clip holds the pads in with the rotor removed.

After you take another hard hit and the pad drops out, go ahead and replace the damaged pistons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    The protrusion makes it impossible for the pads to fall out with the rotor in place. The clip holds the pads in with the rotor removed.
    That actually makes a lot of sense, I never thought of it that way. I always thought that the clips' job was to keep the pads snug w/ piston so they don't hug the rotor all the time - I suppose they do have 2 purpose.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    That actually makes a lot of sense, I never thought of it that way. I always thought that the clips' job was to keep the pads snug w/ piston so they don't hug the rotor all the time - I suppose they do have 2 purpose.
    You may be thinking of the H-spring that is between the pads. I guess it would also keep the pads in with the rotors out. There is also a spring clip on the outside of the caliper.

Liaison
    I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff. Thanks for your patience. If my LBS is indeed lacking in knowledge then I guess I'll ask this here. What do I need to replace? Just the pistons? Or do I have to replace the whole front brake? Any estimate of costs?

I've got an extra pair of pads on order incase I have the problem reoccur. At least then I can finish the ride with both brakes.

Liaison
    Just a little update. While riding at Downieville I had some times when I was getting a squeaky grating sound from the back brake. I took out the back wheel but didn't really see what was going on. I reseated the wheel and it was better until a couple days ago. This time I stopped and really checked the situation. The squeak was from the H spring. On one side it had lost a prong and the other was sticking out past the brake pad and was hitting the brake disc (this was the bad sound).

This time I was ready. I had a pliers and a spare set of brake pads. Replaced 'em on the trail and back to the ride. I find out a little more about these brakes all the time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have had, on two dif. occasions, the front h-spring which returns the pads away from the rotor, bend in and make contact with the rotor. This causes that clicking noise and eventually causes my wheel to lock and the H-spring to bend completely. Anyone have this happen and have any insight into why my Juicy Carbons are doing this?