WAWE
    Jan 2004

Avid Juicy piston swap problems?

I just replaced the pistons and seals on my Juicy caliper and they feel somewhat loose. When I push/pull on the syringe at, it extends/retracts properly If I pull (very) hard on the syringe, there's some *tiny* bubbles coming from the caliper.

Is there a special technique to install the seal? I just removed the old ones and popped in the replacements. Is there more than one type of Juicy piston? Or perhaps my caliper tweaked or the replacement piston/seal is defective?

ballbuster

I got...

Quote Originally Posted by aosty
    I just replaced the pistons and seals on my Juicy caliper and they feel somewhat loose. When I push/pull on the syringe at, it extends/retracts properly If I pull (very) hard on the syringe, there's some *tiny* bubbles coming from the caliper.

Is there a special technique to install the seal? I just removed the old ones and popped in the replacements. Is there more than one type of Juicy piston? Or perhaps my caliper tweaked or the replacement piston/seal is defective?
    ... a set of Hope Minis I'll see you.

just kidding. I need to do seals on those things. Thanks for reminding me. Other than the sticky piston, I love em.

mtbr member
    I have also been unsure about how hard to pull on the syringe. I get some bubbles when I pull slightly and I get more bubbles when I pull harder.

I know that pulling harder makes more of a vacuum which will expose the bubbles that less of a vacuum wouldn't, but the manual warns about pulling air past the seals. My rear brake was bled twice pulling very hard and the bleed is perfect. My front brake was bled the same way five times but I can't get all of the air out.

Two wheels are best
    It's tough to know just how much pull is enough.

Where did you get the parts to rebuild?
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.