mtbr member
    Jul 2004

New question here. Avid Juicy How and vibration

My wife and I both have Ellsworth Truths with Manitou Skareb forks. I just put the Juciy brakes on to replace Avid Machanicals. We rode for about thirty miles over two days and climed and descended 5000 feeet. Then on the last run on the second day a 600 feet drop over 1.5 miles amd they started to howl. The next day the slightest drop seemed to heat the brakes enough they would howl and and vibrate through the handlebars. We have the 160 diameter rotors. Will they larger rotors solve this? You really can't ride the bike when they start to how and vibrate back thorugh the frame this way.

I removed the pads on both bikes iwhile in the field on the third dayand scraped the pads down and them we went through the proces of reseating whle riding in the field. It looks like the pads wee glazed.It lasted about 15 minutes and right back to the howling. My Aivd mechanicals never had this type of issue. they were very resistant to howing afer a lone hard dwonhill. Not these new brakes. What can I do? Is it pads, rotors or rotor size? Thanks for the help. Alr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aljodoro
    What can I do? Is it pads, rotors or rotor size? Thanks for the help. Alr
    Several have had this problem particularly in wet conditions. Tscheezy has narrowed it down to the design and fabrication of the wavy rotor. Check out his solution in this thread. Some have also solved it by installing Avid's round rotors, or alleviated it with different pad compounds. I personally haven't had any problems but I've yet to encounter wet, even damp, conditions. Also, make sure that you trued the rotors, probably not the cause but it will keep the brakes from stuttering.

mtbr member
    Yeah. I've got the polygon 160 rotors (not the 1st gen wavey) and my Juicy's will occasionally emit a harmonic, vibrato howl that belongs in a House of Horror. I have beveled the edges of all the holes and..edges on the rotors (both sides), cleaned, sanded and rebedded the stock brake pads and yet this still comes back. It seems to occur after heavy braking, when they heat up, just when I then get light on the brakes, or as I ease off to stop.

One thing I haven't tried, but want to, is the Motorex copper grease or some of the old blue goo for the back of auto pads.

I also have a set of round rotors that Avid sent me to address this...and will swap them on if I can't figure out how to make the polygons just work quietly.