Kearsarge crawler

Avid Juicy heads up

Just to let everyone know. I am having a new bike built. My local bike shop informed me today that the brake line supplied with my new juicys is too long for my frame. Of course now he needs to cut the line drain it then hook it up and re-bleed the system. To do this you need to get a brake bleeding kit from Avid so if you are looking to get these sweet brakes for your bike give your shop a heads up. If you do your own work maybe you should look for the bleeding kit from Avid. Those of you who don't use brakes at all can disregard.

simply me
    Strange... the B4Pro/SL, Minis, and Martas can all have the line disconnected, shortened and reconnected without a bleed...

mmm, carbon
    Jan 2004
    There is no need to drain the hose when shortening it. In fact if you were very careful, and your reservoir wasn't full of air, you could get away without a bleed too.

thats my red stapler

How Do You Do That

Quote Originally Posted by bostonkiwi
    Strange... the B4Pro/SL, Minis, and Martas can all have the line disconnected, shortened and reconnected without a bleed...
    Is there another thread that decribes the process to do as such...or of you could be so kind as to post here

thanks

Official ***** Idiot
    Feb 2004
    Actually, it's in the Disk Brake Faq, which is posted to the upper right of the main page.

Basically, install the brakes, calipers on the bike, levers on the bar. Now, disconnect the line from the lever, but keep it upright, and higher than the lever while removed. Cut to the appropriate length, and re-attach. No bleed necessary. If you're threading it through hose guides, keep your finger over the end, and make sure you don't spill any fluid.

Jdcamb can support this.........I took the Magura Julies off my bike, put them on his brother's bike, and swapped levers, not only from moto to regular, but also from composite to alloy, and didn't need to bleed, add fluid, or otherwise adjust.

Just be careful, that's all.

Kearsarge crawler

Good advice

Thanks guys, I'll let my shop in on the advice.

mmm, carbon
    Jan 2004
    Of course with the juicies you can't just cut the hose and reattach it straight away. First you need to force a new hosebarb into the end of the hose. This took a bit of effort when shortening my hoses, YMMV. Since I was bleeding them anyway, I wasn't too bothered about a bit of spillage.

Kearsarge crawler

That must be it

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo
    Of course with the juicies you can't just cut the hose and reattach it straight away. First you need to force a new hosebarb into the end of the hose. This took a bit of effort when shortening my hoses, YMMV. Since I was bleeding them anyway, I wasn't too bothered about a bit of spillage.
    I assume this is the problem my shop ran into, I have not spoken to the in depth.

Feeding your addiction
    Yeah, it's typically not a problem at all with the Juicy. I've shortened lines on 6 pair of them so far, and only had to bleed one front brake (and that was only because I accidently bumped the lever and it squirted fluid out). Of course Murphy's law will apply and the one time you don't have a bleed kit around is when you'll end up needing to bleed them.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??

Czech out th' "D-low" link, Holmes.....