Urban to Mountian Rider
    Dec 2008

New question here. Avid juicy five brake questions

Hey everyone I am having some issues with my juicy fives.. First, I am experiencing the "bionic turkey" kinda gobbly noise on the rotor when I put a certian amount of pressure on the levers. They still have good power, it's just that they make that wierd bumpy "gobble" noise when I use them.. Can anyone give me advise on how to prevent this? Or tell me what causes this? BTW my front brakes don't do this, just the rear.

And for question 2:
    When I do wheelies Or anything that has to do with an uphill type angle, the levers get really really squishy, and then the lever bottoms put on the handle grips. this also happens with some good downhill angle as well.. I just barely bought this bike, and I thought maybe this was normal. But I tried my brother, and dads bikes and they have the same brakes but they don't do this at all. I'm thinking that I just got a bad factory bleed, and there are some bubbles in my lines, and when I go uphill/wheely angle the bubbles come up to the plunger and make them squishy, and lack tons of power. Same with downhill, but then the bubbles float to the calipers and cause squishy, crappy power. This does happen with both front and rear levers.. Does anyone else have/had this/these problems? How can I fix this?
    All tips and help are greatly appreciated!! Thanks a ton!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by biker_maniack
    Hey everyone I am having some issues with my juicy fives.. First, I am experiencing the "bionic turkey" kinda gobbly noise on the rotor when I put a certian amount of pressure on the levers. They still have good power, it's just that they make that wierd bumpy "gobble" noise when I use them.. Can anyone give me advise on how to prevent this? Or tell me what causes this? BTW my front brakes don't do this, just the rear.

And for question 2:
    When I do wheelies Or anything that has to do with an uphill type angle, the levers get really really squishy, and then the lever bottoms put on the handle grips. this also happens with some good downhill angle as well.. I just barely bought this bike, and I thought maybe this was normal. But I tried my brother, and dads bikes and they have the same brakes but they don't do this at all. I'm thinking that I just got a bad factory bleed, and there are some bubbles in my lines, and when I go uphill/wheely angle the bubbles come up to the plunger and make them squishy, and lack tons of power. Same with downhill, but then the bubbles float to the calipers and cause squishy, crappy power. This does happen with both front and rear levers.. Does anyone else have/had this/these problems? How can I fix this?
    All tips and help are greatly appreciated!! Thanks a ton!!!!
    Turkey Gobble has a lot of theorys but none of them have been a instant fix. Switching to organic pads, proper alignment, changing the CPS bolts or getting new rotors fixed it for some but not for all.

Sounds like you need a solid bleed. you have a bubble somewhere. Its not uncommon that new Avid brakes have that problem. The bleed isn't hard and Avid has a video on Youtube that explains it very well.

Urban to Mountian Rider
    Dec 2008
    Yeah that's what I figured with the bubble.. I'll prolly take it in and talk to them about getting that done.. And thanks!!

Urban to Mountian Rider
    Dec 2008
    Is it really even bad for the gobble noise to happen? Like is it bad for the rotor or pads or anything? Thanks!

TNC
    noMAD man
    The "gobble" scenario if also followed by an annoying vibration that goes right up the seatpost can be very annoying. If it's just noise, then I'd say that nothing bad is going to happen...except being throttled by your riding buddies who can't stand it anymore...LOL!

I've seen lots of stories of the gobble sound with some Avid brakes, but has anyone experienced the accompanying vibration that I mentioned? My Juicy 5's had this on the rear brake, and no amount of diagnosis would bring a solution. I was even going to change pad composition and face the caliper frame mount at our shop, but instead I went with Elixirs and the problem went away. The vibration I'm talking about came through the frame and right up the seatpost to the nether regions. Annoying or stimulating depending on your preference, I guess...LOL!

Urban to Mountian Rider
    Dec 2008
    Haha yes I did for sure! It was the gobble, then the loud vibration noise and feeling... Haha it bugs me...

Urban to Mountian Rider
    Dec 2008
    ive been doing a lot of wheelies lately and it is really annoying, and scary not knowing if the brake is gonna work even haha... i need to take it in and get it bled. do they bleed the brakes with the normal tune up?
    thanks