mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Avid Juicy and Centerlock Rotors

Hi,
    So, I'm very jealous of my wife's new Avid Juicy brakes!

I currently have Avid mechanical brakes which are very nice but not as nice as the Juicy's. I am running them on XTR hubs with the new center lock rotors and it works fine.

Seems like it should work and I suppose I could swap wheels with my wife to try this out in the field (where it matters) but she probably won't like my weight weenie cassette on the rear.

Anybody running Juicy's w/center lock rotors that could save me the trouble of swapping wheels and cassettes?

Thanks very much,
    arn

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Provided the rotors are the same diameter and similar thicknesses, you shouldn't have any problems.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Any issue with "wavy"

Both rotors are 160mm but the centerlock rotors are round and the Juicy's have this wavy pattern. I assume Avid did that for a reason though the reason (clean sweep??, heat reduction?) may or may not be significant enough for it not to work.

I'm not sure about the thickness.

Any other thoughts?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by arnobarno
    Any other thoughts?
    Don't worry about it, it'll work. Thickness is inconsequential as are the "wavey" vs. "lightning bolt" vs. round rotors.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it will work fine.

Coincidentally, my wife runs the mechs and I have the Juicys, but I'd be willing to trade with her...except that I'd still have to work on the Juicys, etc... Unlike the mechs, which have been very easy to adjust for squeal, feel and power, even on the trail, the Juicys have been squealers and arent' really adjustable like the mechs are. The Juicy's may be more powerful, but the mechs are just so good and easy to maintain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks

for the info!

It is funny. The mechanicals are super easy to adjust but for whatever reason, I still have some squeal - I've tried a couple of different Avid compounds and will probably try one of the other brands. The Juicys have been super quiet for my wife but as you say are less adjustable. Go figure.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by arnobarno
    The mechanicals are super easy to adjust but for whatever reason, I still have some squeal - I've tried a couple of different Avid compounds and will probably try one of the other brands. The Juicys have been super quiet for my wife but as you say are less adjustable. Go figure.
    Yeah, like you said... Go figure. Especially considering they share the same pads.

Give the B4 pad compound a try. It's replaced the C4 compound and is the quietest, smoothest of the Avīd pads I've used.

If you've just gotta have something new to staple on your bike, go spend some money on some custom Hopė rotors. "Quiet, Please!" might be an appropriate slogan to customize them with.