mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Avid Juicy bleed kit

I`ve refitted my Juicy 5`s back to my fsr after removing the Hayes Stroker Rydes (which were too on/off for me). The Juicies (especially the rear) are a bit spongy and I`m sure they need a bleed. Do I have to buy the dedicated kit or can I improvise ? I`ve never bled brakes before so I dont want to cock it up !

Meh.
    You need the kit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Have been having some problems with my Juicies and think I might have contaminated the pads (despite 2 bleeds the lever is mushy and is virtually all the way to the bar before stopping me - particularly when going downhill). As the pads are quite worn I`m not too bothered about changing them.

I want to keep to sintered and price is not a problem so should I stay original or are there better options out there ?

turtles make me hot
    I've been a mechanic for a LONG time and when I put Juicys on my stepson's bike and the rear one was spongy, I tried pumping the lever and cracking the screw while holding the lever down as you would an automotive application. No luck. I got the bleed tool, followed the instructions, nice brakes.
    I like turtles

banned
    You need Hope or Shimano if you want to do that. Bleed kits are retarded at this point.

Meh.
    You either have a leak or you performed a poor bleed.

The pistons self-adjust for pad wear. Contaminated pads wouldn't make the lever feel squishy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    i`ve changed the pads (as they wer low and shiny) will try tomorrow then re-bleed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Bleed kits are retarded at this point.
    So is shooting brake fluid all over the garage wall. Shimano uses mineral oil, which is not a big deal but DOT brake fluid is nasty stuff. Bleed kits are a nice, effective, clean way to go about the work.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by swift
    So is shooting brake fluid all over the garage wall. Shimano uses mineral oil, which is not a big deal but DOT brake fluid is nasty stuff. Bleed kits are a nice, effective, clean way to go about the work.
    I beleive what he is saying is with Shimano and Hope they bleed like a typical moto, reservoir down. There are companies that offer bleed kits for moto's also to bleed from the caliper up.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

banned
    No, that's not what I meant. One simply needs to pump the lever and the fluid dribbles out of the bleeder. This displays (with the shooting fluid comment) the lack of experience many have on mtbr, yet their willingness to give what appears to be sound technical advice gained through hands on experience.

PS- did you not think one could use a hose going into a bottle so one is never exposed to DOT fluid? Next, DOT is not that aggressive. Only people in the bike business seem to go haywire and freak out over it. No one in the bike business or forums or car forums go nuts over DOT. And this discussion came up before- it's not like this so called "mineral oil" is non-toxic. If you can get the ingredients and understand them, I urge you to rethink your stance on your ability to drink it or slather it all over your body after extracting from your brakes. This is simply a myth about mineral brake oil.

mtbr member
    No, that's not what I meant. One simply needs to pump the lever and the fluid dribbles out of the bleeder. This displays (with the shooting fluid comment) the lack of experience many have on mtbr, yet their willingness to give what appears to be sound technical advice gained through hands on experience.

PS- did you not think one could use a hose going into a bottle so one is never exposed to DOT fluid? Next, DOT is not that aggressive. Only people in the bike business seem to go haywire and freak out over it. No one in the bike business or forums or car forums go nuts over DOT. And this discussion came up before- it's not like this so called "mineral oil" is non-toxic. If you can get the ingredients and understand them, I urge you to rethink your stance on your ability to drink it or slather it all over your body after extracting from your brakes. This is simply a myth about mineral brake oil.
    Werd. I was simply illustrating my point with the colorful adjectives.

I don't recommend drinking or slathering either on your body. DOT fluid is nasty in that it will eat away many plastics/paints/etc. I didn't suggest going nuts over it but an awareness of it is advisable, unless you're looking for a "custom" finish on your bicycle's paint job or a new look through your prescription spectacles.

PS- Yes, I've thought of using a hose. I've been working on cars/tracks/bikes/machines for 24yrs. I know my way around pretty good and would be willing to stack that experience against whatever litmus test you'd like to propose.

You may also want to consider the following:

-Did the OP think of using a hose? I don't know as it was never mentioned.
    -Did you recommend using a hose in your first post? No.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    back to the point boys !

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by robinta
    back to the point boys !
    Hows the rebleed coming??
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    havent rebled yet. New pads have definately helped so they must have been contaminated. I`m still thinking of 1 more re-bleed though.

Praise Bob

Not totally true

You need Hope or Shimano if you want to do that. Bleed kits are retarded at this point.
    I have a lot of experience with car maintenance and thought I could bleed my Juicy's the old fashioned way by pumping the lever and forcing fluid from the reservoir down through the caliper. The lever was still squishy afterwords even after two attempts so I got the $29.00 kit in frustration.

It came with fluid, syringes, bottles and extra banjo fittings (which I didnt need). The kit made the job super easy and nearly idiot proof. I got a perfect bleed and have never needed to do it again. Bleeding from the bottom up got the air that was trapped in the caliper out and it only took a few minutes with that setup. The kit even included a little clamp to hold the overflow bottle so you could do the job without a helper.

I just dont see what the big deal is by getting the $30 kit. Just because someone buys the kit it makes them less of a person? What, my engineering degree is irrelevant, now I am "retarded" because I used the kit?