mtbr member
    Jan 2007

avid juicy bleed clarification?

i purchased a set of juicy 5's 2nd hand and noticed they were pretty soft so I did a full bleed.... still soft, **** note there quite a bit of black particles that came out which i have researched to be worn o-rings, more on that later****

replaced the hose, still soft. did another full bleed, still soft.... anyway you get the idea....*** more black particles in the flushing end of the bleed*****

on my other set of juicy 5's (which were new including the pads) they came to me empty and too long, so I re sized the hose and performed a full bleed and they came out perfect.... so im pretty sure i know what i'm doing when it comes to new brakes and pads....

but used pads, not too sure.... here is question number 1 - when bleeding a set of used brake pads do you still use the red spacer thing to separate the caliper? or is that just for brand new pads? they are not that worn and i have since cleaned them with alcohol and they brake better but still not like my other brakes.....(new ones)

question number 2 - is the black particles really dissolved o-rings? and if they are, are they easy to replace? so far i have only found an avid lever service kit for like 10 bucks on jenson... but no picture and not much of an explanation.... is this what is needed to overhaul the brake?

anyway- any help would be much appreciated.....

i have made the brakes stop a little better but i had to push the bar all the way out which is ok but i d much rather have it closed....

thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I wish I could help you.. I searched for Juicy Avid bc I had to take apart then rebuild a rear caliper, and I don't know what to do next to get it to work again. That's how I came across your post.

Rub it............
    nicolicious - You can use the caliper spacer with both new and used pads. The lever service kit includes the o-rings and seals for the master cylinder piston. Go to page 14 of the spare parts manual.

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...%20list%29.pdf

As for the quality of braking, you might need a new set of pads. Its possible they have something in the pad material.

Tusker - After your rebuild, did you install a new compression fitting, before installing the hose, then proceeding with bleed the brakes? You will also need an Avid Bleed Kit. It has everything you need to bleed the brake assm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks man.. I'm headed to the bike shop probably. I never fully disconnected the hose though. Not sure if that makes a difference. Thx for the help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just bled the front brake (juicy 7) and the lever feel came out perfect. However, my stopping power seems to have reduced a bit. Is this more likely a result of improper bleeding or did I contaminate the pads?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Have you done anything to pads or rotor, like cleaned or swapped them. Its also possible a drop of DOT fluid could have hit them
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolicious
    .... 1 - when bleeding a set of used brake pads do you still use the red spacer thing to separate the caliper? or is that just for brand new pads? they are not that worn and i have since cleaned them with alcohol and they brake better but still not like my other brakes.....(new ones)

question number 2 - is the black particles really dissolved o-rings? and if they are, are they easy to replace? so far i have only found an avid lever service kit for like 10 bucks on jenson... but no picture and not much of an explanation.... is this what is needed to overhaul the brake?
    Yes, you must use the spreader, then remove the pads, insert the proper spacer (bleed kit comes with several different ones) and then follow the bleed instructions.

Hmmm, not sure but sounds like o-ring particles.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...