mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Avid Juicy Adjustments

Hi,
    We have a set of Avid Juicy's that came on my wife's new bike. Boy is she happy with them after her first ride!

In setting them up though, there is one small anomoly between the front and the rear brake that I can't resolve so was hoping you could help. We'd like to set the reach to be identical on both hands and the contact point to also be identical.

So, I set the reach on both to be identical. Then, I set the contact point on the front to be fairly far out - for purposes of example, let's say all the way out. Now then, even with the contact point all the way out on the rear, the actual contact is significantly later on the rear brake. The only way to get equal contact points is to adjust the rear 6mm further out from a reach standpoint and then the contact points end up being equivalent.

Is there any way to adjust this that I'm missing? There doesn't appear to be any bubbles or anything in the reservoirs. I'm wondering if you change the contact point (say all the way in) and then re-engage the CPS it would maybe give you some other options. But I'm guessing.

Help!!

Thanks,
    arn

formerly Giantxc
    You might want to give it a little while. As the brakes brake in this situation may rectify itself. I never had this happen with my Juicy, but with my Hope Mini's the contact point became earlier as the brake broke in.

Quote Originally Posted by arnobarno
    Hi,
    We have a set of Avid Juicy's that came on my wife's new bike. Boy is she happy with them after her first ride!

In setting them up though, there is one small anomoly between the front and the rear brake that I can't resolve so was hoping you could help. We'd like to set the reach to be identical on both hands and the contact point to also be identical.

So, I set the reach on both to be identical. Then, I set the contact point on the front to be fairly far out - for purposes of example, let's say all the way out. Now then, even with the contact point all the way out on the rear, the actual contact is significantly later on the rear brake. The only way to get equal contact points is to adjust the rear 6mm further out from a reach standpoint and then the contact points end up being equivalent.

Is there any way to adjust this that I'm missing? There doesn't appear to be any bubbles or anything in the reservoirs. I'm wondering if you change the contact point (say all the way in) and then re-engage the CPS it would maybe give you some other options. But I'm guessing.

Help!!

Thanks,
    arn

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have Aivd Juicys on two bikes and found this to be a problem with both bikes. The problems is you need to bleed the brake and get all the air out and make sure the two levers have the same amount of Dot Fluid. It took me a few times but now all 4 brakes feel and act exactly the same. I took me several times bleeding and understanding how to bleed to get all the air out and to have the same amount of fluid in the system. Al.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks Al

I actually sent a note to Avid around the same time as this posting and they got back to me stating that bleeding the brakes was the likely problem. I've tried that once and it has made a difference for sure but don't know if I've completely solved the problem. I suspect once I get better at the bleeding process (including the "revised" bleeding instructions Avid included in my bleed kit), I'll get it dialed in completely.

Thanks for the tip and confirmation that there is light on the other side of the tunnel!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have had to bleed my brakes so many times to get the even lever pull. The key I found is after you are all done bleeding following the revised instructions is to go back one final time and suck the air from the caliper end while on the frame but without the bolts holding it on. Just set it on the rotor. I don't know why but each time I have gotten two small bubbles. When I see I see those then I feel like I am gong to get it. After you get those small bubbles by using the vacuum effect from the syringe then gently force the fluid back in from the caliper end. Make sure you a have the syringe attached to the lever allowing you to push fluid up into the lever syringe. After you push fluid back and forth with the syringes then squeeze the lever several times. Make sure all syringes have fluid in them and they remain upright so you don't introduce any air back into the system. Then remove the rear caliper keeping it below the level of the lever. Hold the caliper so the drain plug faces up. Unscrew the syringe and replace the bleed screw. (If you have four arms you could gently push on the lever syringe making sure you were pushing fluid through the line as you were putting in the bleed screw-This would preclude any air entering). Don't have you wife or girlfriend help because she will ask why you replace the avid mechanicals. They just don't get it. Then if you see any air in the reservoir go through the process of getting the air out. Make sure you hold the lever so that the bleed hole is up. Hopefully you have slightly pressurized the reservoir so when you remove the syringe the fluid wells up. Put the bleed plug back in. Hope it works. Basically all said there is air in the line and you need to get it out.