mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Avid Juicy 7s w/ Galfer rotors and pads

I'm about to take the plunge into the world of discs - mostly because I eventually want to go with a 5" travel frame and V's won't be an option. I've spent most of the day sifting through everyones' opinions and I think I've narrowed down my choices to the juicy 7s, however I could probably be swayed by a solid argument.

I was initially interested in the Hayes because I didn't know any better, then I turned my attention to the Hope Minis but the whole adapter thing discouraged me a bit. I know the Avids have the potential for some real set up headaches but I'm pretty "detail oriented" so maybe I'll get lucky. I know the squealing will drive me nuts so I will probably go with some Galfer rotors and pads. And I'm kind of a whore for anything that's finely machined so I'll probably end up with Dangerboy levers too.

The main reason I think I would like to go with the 7s is for the reach adjustment. I don't have very large hands and they fatigue easily. I have always liked shorty levers really close to the bar and the whole reach thing still concerns me.

OK, now the questions... Am I correct in assuming that the Juicy 7s will mount to a 2001 Superlight frame (and eventually a 2007 Blur LT) without any adapters? And likewise to a 2000 Marzocchi Z1 CR and eventually a 2006 Marzocchi AM SL. I'm still not clear which is the IS; 51mm or 74mm?

This next question will probably rase some debate. I weigh 145lbs and I like to go fast, but I'm not a downhiller or a freerider. Do I need a 185mm rotor on the front? Better yet, is there any reason not to? I don't know which way to go on this one. A little bit overkill is OK with me, but if it's totally pointless then why bother.

Thanks, Z
    Last edited by the73z; 02-11-2007 at 01:02 AM.

Meh.
    No, you will need to use the included adapters (assuming the frame is disc ready). Avid brakes are post mount calipers.

185mm rotor sounds like it should hit the spot for you.

I've had great luck with my J7s. Squeak and stutter free with Hayes rotors.

I have not used the Galfer rotors, but I've heard that it cured all the issues for several people (including a few on this board).

Adobo Lover
    Is there any adjustments at the caliper to be made when you use the Hayes Rotors?
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    No, you will need to use the included adapters (assuming the frame is disc ready). Avid brakes are post mount calipers.

185mm rotor sounds like it should hit the spot for you.

I've had great luck with my J7s. Squeak and stutter free with Hayes rotors.

I have not used the Galfer rotors, but I've heard that it cured all the issues for several people (including a few on this board).
    As long as the adapters come with the brake and I don't have to go searching for something...

The holes on the disc tab are 51mm apart OC on the frame and likewise on the fork. I'm going to assume that is the international standard. I'm still a little unclear as to what the post mount looks like, but I guess it doesn't matter if I don't have it.

Thanks for the info. Z

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    OK, I figured out the whole post mount vs IS. My current Superlight has the IS, my current 2001 Marzocchi has the IS, if I get a 2006 Marzocchi it will have 74mm post mount, and if I get the new BLT it will still have the IS.

The adapter looks very straight forward and simple and I'm glad it comes with the brake.

Thanks for all the help. Z

Meh.
    No adjustment at the caliper for different rotors.

Glad that you got it all figured out.