mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Avid Juicy 7's....no modulation!!

bought some new brakes for the bike and they work very well,very little effort to make them lock up but.....i cant stand that.my old brakes were vwery cheap hope monos which actually had a decent amount of modulation,infact it was almost hard to get the wheel to lock up.

on the new brakes it has that fancy adjuster at top but that just seems to be handle placement more than anything.

can i run a diffrent pad to get some modulation??
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...

Former Bike Wrench
    Organic pads tend to have more modulation than metallic pads. They wear out quicker (especially in wet and muddy conditions) and shouldn't be used with really wavy rotors.

Some people will also mix brake pads, as in one metallic and one organic per caliper to get their desired modulation.

Of course, you may just be used to crummy brakes and with a little practice might find the Avids to be just fine with metallic pads (as I do).

mtbr member
    Nah, Avids suck. I switched to Magura for the same reason the OP stated. It was the best decision I ever made!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ROG30Y
    on the new brakes it has that fancy adjuster at top but that just seems to be handle placement more than anything.
    The red knob adjusts the point in the lever pull that the pads contact the rotor. There is a separate adjust screw for lever placement.

Play with the contact point adjust some (it turns about 25 times so give it some tweaks) and find the point that works with you. By default, the pads hit the rotor almost immediately when the lever is pulled (which makes it hard for me to modulate them).

mtbr member
    I liked my J5's when I used them for a season.. had no issues at all. I think they might just be breaking in/you getting used to different brakes..
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4