mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Avid Juicy 7 Squeal How to fix?

Well last week my front lever on my 2007 Juicy 7's got squeezed w/o the wheel in. Close the pistons so I put the spacer in and seperated the pads. Put the front wheel in. Rode down the street and put on the brake. SQUEAL! So I cleaned the rotor and still squealed.

So I took it to the shop. Took it out of the car after it had sat in the car all day and no more squeal. Great I think but the squeal had been replaced by a shudder. Oh man. So they cleaned my rotor again took out the pads noticed a notch, sanded them and off I went no more squeal or shudder.

Well tonight was my first ride out. It has power and the shudder was gone as was the squeal while braking. Then next thing I know the squeal came back but this time during normal riding. When I brake it goes away for a few seconds only to come back.

So before I pull out the pads and put my new goodridge organics in the front what do you suggest? It has power so a bleed isn't needed.

Thanks in advance.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Did you push the pistons back in with the pads off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just pushed them back by inserting the spacer. I didn't push them back when the pads were removed because the wheel could spin and I still had power.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    It helps if you center the caliper on the rotor.
    -Loosen the caliper bolts, then pull the brake lever and slowly retighten the caliper bolts as you release then pull the lever after each 1/2 turn on the caliper bolts (so the caliper can move).

Also I noticed my disks made the noise when they passed over the holes, so I used a knife sharpening stone and faced off the rotor. It helped too.

Thirdly, try giving the pads a light sanding and then use some alcohol on them and the rotors.

Those are a few things I did and the noise went down 75%.