mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Avid Juicy 7 rubbing

One of the pads on my rear Juicy 7 is intermittently lightly rubbing the rotor (Causing a moaning sound), HOWEVER... When I stop and spin the back wheel and watch it, the pads appear to be centred, and there's no visible contact. One of the ways I can get it to make the noise is by swerving the bike back and forth as I'm riding. Might this be loose wheel bearings, allowing the rotor to move back and forth, or what? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It could be bearings, but it is more likely to be frame flex when turning or just from your weight on the bike.

Have someone sit on the bike and see if the pads are still centered. Or put as much weight on it as you can with your chest and take a look.

3 "fiddy" for short
    It could be the bearings, but try something simple first. Loosen the QR (if you are using a qr) or bolt on and reseat your wheel. I have had this exact problem with my J7s and after adjusting the wheel in the dropouts it was silent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zothecula
    One of the pads on my rear Juicy 7 is intermittently lightly rubbing the rotor (Causing a moaning sound), HOWEVER... When I stop and spin the back wheel and watch it, the pads appear to be centred, and there's no visible contact. One of the ways I can get it to make the noise is by swerving the bike back and forth as I'm riding. Might this be loose wheel bearings, allowing the rotor to move back and forth, or what? Thanks!
    First off stand behind your bike grab the rear wheel give it a shake to check if the wheel has play.If not sounds as if the calipers aren't moving out correctly.This is a symptom of the shuttering sounds these brake's can make if system isn't fully blead.
    To check for this take off wheel leave pads in,acuate lever a little bit(as in not to the bar)as you watch how the pads come in if it's even,or if one comes in sligtly angled,or one is delayed.

If so a good mechanic who know's avid brakes needs to beed them.
    I've been bleeding brakes since the magura rim hydro's and the juicy blead is more involved and should be done with there ninteen part instructions that come with there kit.