mtbr member
    Apr 2011

is a Avid Juicy 7 rebuild in order?

Im an bind… I attempted to bleed my rear Avid Juicy 7 disc brake and did everything to the T according to 2 you tube videos and practice doing the front brake a week prior with my buddy with much success…. But when everything was all said and done with bleeding the rear brake, the brake pads would not approximate.
    Why? New fluid, no bubbles.

When spreading the caliper it was particularly difficult, but I figured it was normal, or maybe i it was not letting the screw out on the brake lever (but i thought it was out enough).. I did turn the pad adjust knob to out fully.

Any ideas or is it shot or need to be re-hauled?

Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You are correct in that the contact adjustment needs to be set all the way out, as is indicated in the video. Not sure what you mean when you say the pads would not approximate? If you were having trouble retracting the pistons in the caliper, then you may have sticky/stuck piston(s) that need to be freed up before you move on to bleeding. You should be able to retract both pistons flush with the surface of the caliper. If you can't do this with both, then loosen one of the bleed screws a little and that should allow some of the brake fluid out of the system which should then allow you to retract the piston the rest of the way. Since your bleeding anyway, you will be replacing that little bit of fluid that leaked out anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I originally was able to get the piston to fully retract in order to fit the spacer in the caliper (from bleed kit), but it took some work. not sure if the piston was stuck..

When i say that the pads don't approximate, i mean that the brake pads don't go into each other. when i pull the brake lever, it almost feels empty.

my mind has been buzzing on this all day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    fixed it... filled both syringes with 1/8 fluid in each and push-pull-push-pull and watched a load of bublles come out. It was a trip, because i took the time to everything right the first time.

thanks for the previous reply.