mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Avid Juicy 7 n00b questions.

I am going to upgrade my 2004 Stumpy FSR with disc brakes. I found Juicy 7s online for $145, which seems like a good deal: http://www.trianglemountainbikes.com...tail.php?id=87

However, I have no heard of this retailer before, anyone have any experience with them?

Is there anything else that I need besides the brake sets themselves like a bleed kit? My wheels (Mavic 717 on XT hubs) are supposed to come in tomorow.

As a last question, any feedback on Juicy 7 as a general use XC brake?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by martynda
    I am going to upgrade my 2004 Stumpy FSR with disc brakes. I found Juicy 7s online for $145, which seems like a good deal: http://www.trianglemountainbikes.com...tail.php?id=87

However, I have no heard of this retailer before, anyone have any experience with them?

Is there anything else that I need besides the brake sets themselves like a bleed kit? My wheels (Mavic 717 on XT hubs) are supposed to come in tomorow.

Thanks in advance.
    OK here goes:

1. I have not dealt with triangle mountain before, I personally would use Jensonusa and use their price match thingy (they have juicy for 155, pretty sure they will match 145)

2. The bleed kit is only necesary if you need to shorten the brake lines, or have a bad bleed from the factory. That being said I would never own a set of brakes and not be able to bleed them myself, so a bleed kit is something you will probably want to invest in sooner rather then later. I assume the XT hubs are disc hubs right?

3. The Juicy 7's are a fantastic brake. They were much anticipated and hyped, and IMHO are one of the best systems available.

galferusa
    Aug 2004

Why?

Thanks in advance.
    What's wrong with your old brakes? What brand and model are they?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by galferusa
    What's wrong with your old brakes? What brand and model are they?

I am assuming the bike currently runs v-brakes and wants a disc upgrade?

it is a sickness that many of us have - upgradeitis......

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yep, I just want discs. I have Avid SD3 brakes that came with the bike. Had a nice run-in with a tree after I was unable to stop in wet conditions. I'm in Florida and in the Summer it rains every single day, so the trails are always wet.

Thanks for the reply. However, I just realized that I didn't order the disc wheels, but just the regural rim brake ones. DOH! I wonder if Performance will waive the return shipping fee if I get an exchange? I think after doing so much research and overthinking things, I was too excited to get a deal like that on the wheels (they came out to be 173 shipped with the 20% cupon) that I didn't realize the description didn't say disc.

However, this brings about another dillema, the disc wheels they have come with XT hubs and have centerlock, so that doesn't quite allow me to use the Juicy brakes...

mtbr member
    Yep, I just want discs. I have Avid SD3 brakes that came with the bike. Had a nice run-in with a tree after I was unable to stop in wet conditions. I'm in Florida and in the Summer it rains every single day, so the trails are always wet.

Thanks for the reply. However, I just realized that I didn't order the disc wheels, but just the regural rim brake ones. DOH! I wonder if Performance will waive the return shipping fee if I get an exchange? I think after doing so much research and overthinking things, I was too excited to get a deal like that on the wheels (they came out to be 173 shipped with the 20% cupon) that I didn't realize the description didn't say disc.

However, this brings about another dillema, the disc wheels they have come with XT hubs and have centerlock, so that doesn't quite allow me to use the Juicy brakes...
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news regarding the disc hubs ;-)

couple of options regarding disc hubs, Galferusa will be making some shimano compatible bolt ons that will probably be compatible with the juicy 7's, or another option is to get a wheelset that is ISO compatible instead of the smimano xt disc ones. There are many options available. Problem solvers also makes an adaptor for spline to conventional rotors.

TJ

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Don't want to spam the board, but I have a new set of wheels that you might be interested in that are lighter and less expensive than the Performance wheels. I ended up changing my mind and going with a different setup. PM if you are interested.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

galferusa
    Aug 2004

Galfer's new spline compatable rotors

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news regarding the disc hubs ;-)

couple of options regarding disc hubs, Galferusa will be making some shimano compatible bolt ons that will probably be compatible with the juicy 7's, or another option is to get a wheelset that is ISO compatible instead of the smimano xt disc ones. There are many options available. Problem solvers also makes an adaptor for spline to conventional rotors.

TJ
    Our new centerlocks will be compatable with most brake calipers on the market.
    Galfer USA

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Great brakes

I have to add my recommendation for the Juicys. Prior to the Juicy's had Shimano XT Vbrakes (very good), then Avid mechanicals on my current FS bike (also very good and easy to use and maintain).

Just put on the Juicy's last month and becoming more and more impressed by their performance and Avid hallmark ease of use/maintenance. Even cut the hydraulic hoses and bleed the system last night- no problem at all, just have to carefully follow the instructions which are very clear.

So far the performance has been outstanding. One of my rides includes a very fast 2000' descent ending in a single track. Great test of a brakes ability to deal with extended use at high speed and heat, modulation and comfort at the lever. The Juicy's are awesome, with zero fade (especially after I re-bleed the system) and no squeals. Just great modulation and way more control even at higher speeds.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

Two wheels are best
    Are you sure the hubs are centerlock? Shimano makes both styles of XT hubs.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.