Drink...sleep

Bonking ... not feelin' well Avid Juicy 7 lever problem

Hi all,
    Recently, Iím having a strange problem with my 2005 Juicy Seven front brake lever. I'll try to explain it the best I can. The "contact point adjustment knob" can only be turned for about 1 turn, then it gets progressively harder to turn and then sort of feels stuck, but when turning a bit harder (no excessive force), it "clicks" and can be turned for about 1 turn again. Then there's the lever. First of all, I can't pop it out when pulling back on it anymore. It's like the lever's always in "popped out" position, because when you squeeze it, you feel it clicking through a small barrier. The main problem is, the contact point adjustment knob doesn't adjust the contact point anymore, but just seems like a royal pain in the ass. When in a middle position of its 1 turn adjustment, the lever feels as I just described. When turning it to "in" or "out", the lever wonít return anymore when squeezed and the brake stays on. You can then force the lever back out again, but it stays put where you let go of it.

On a side note I haven't had a crash in a long time so it can't be damaged this way. I've also bled the system half a year ago, but all was fine after that.

I can do a lever overhaul if that fixes anything, but if there is a simpler solution to this, I'd be glad to know. Thanks a bunch!

Meh.
    Hmmm... It sounds like the master cylinder may be going. Or something is up with the wormgear.

Drink...sleep
    Yeah, I figured it might be the wormgear. Can hardly imagine it's the master cylinder, brake power is still strong as ever. Just discovered I can't turn the lever reach adjustment screw anymore either. I'll take the lever apart, probably tomorrow, to see what's up.

Meh.
    The fact that it isn't returning makes me think it might be something up with the MC. If you apply pressure to the lever over a period of time, does the lever sink down at all? If so, that might be internal bypass in the MC.

BTW, cute cat, reminds me a little of one of mine.

Drink...sleep
    The lever does return, too far at that. It sits very far from the handlebar and can't be adjusted in any way anymore. Only when the red adjustment knob is turned "stuck" to 'in' or 'out' it doesn't return. If I squeeze the lever for a longer period of time, nothing different happens. If I open it up, is there any way I can see the MC is busted?

That's my cat Boris btw, mainly white, ugly (doesn't help when he's checking out your bike and getting a black nose from the chain) and with a head too small for his body, but really friendly

Meh.
    Alright, still sounds like the wormgear then. Check out the SRAM website, they have an extremely detailed PDF.

The little one's color is kind of similar. But she's gotten big now.

Drink...sleep
    Thanks Will, just checked out their site and have some cold beverages on hold for when I'm done

The little one's very cute! Better looking than Boris also. Thankfully I've got a big one to look after his scrawny white ass

Drink...sleep
    'Nuff kitty talk, I found the culprit: the pushrod! It wasn't exactly straight anymore, nicely curved like a fishhook. How that could have happened, I have no idea. You think it unwise to just use some pliers and straighten it again (yes, probably), or better just order a new one?

Thanks for all your help!

Meh.
    Might as well straighten it so you can use it for the time being. Order the pushrod and replace it when you get a chance. They're something like 5 bucks.