mtbr member
    Apr 2009

avid juicy 5 hydraulic disc brakes

hi i have just bought a cannondale taurine 4 the one with fox folks it came with avid juicy 5 brakes and they are rubbish i own a giant with giant mph brakes and they are awsome mint stopping power to instant sometimes!!!! is that how the avid juicy brakes are or are they suppose to be excellent for stopping quickly because i can go faily quick or slow hit the front brake and it just slows down the back wheel doesnt even lift off the floor.if i was to do the same with my giant i would be over the handle bars!!! any 1 with the same how are yours any answers thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    OK, my "any answer" is, use punctuation so we can read your post.

mtbr member
    I am running Juicy 5's on my 07 Stumpy and have been very happy with them. Great stopping power and very consistent. If you are not happy with the settings, try adjusting them until you find one you like. only problem I've had is the turkey warble problem for about the first 100 miles but haven't heard it in a very long time.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

Former Bike Wrench
    so did you even bother to burn in the pads or did you just go for a spin with fresh pads and rotors.

Read the manual and you might be able to answer you own question

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

avid juicy 5 brakes

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    so did you even bother to burn in the pads or did you just go for a spin with fresh pads and rotors.

Read the manual and you might be able to answer you own question
    hi yes just picked the bike up from a company called alf jones cycles and rid it home approx 5 mile what do you mean by burn them have i missed doin something i should of done?thanks

Rip Van Winkle
    I was completely turned off on a Cdale Rize with Avid juicy 3's. I had no idea they needed a break in period. I hoped on the owners bike that has the brakes broken in and they were exactly what I wanted and expected. See what the break in period is for yours.

Former Bike Wrench
    Well I'll start off by saying I'm 220lbs and run Juicy 5's and they could easily send me over the bars...so they got plenty of power.

Find a big hill, go to the top and head down it. Apply the brakes in an on/off fashion (do not drag them!). At first they will feel weak, but after 20-40 hard on/off cycles, you should notice a significant increase in braking power.