mtbr member
    Mar 2009

New question here. Avid Juicy 5 buyers remorse

Put quite simply, does anyone have Juicy 5's that work with no problems?

I just ordered a set of 09 Juicy 5's ($160 w/ 185mm rotors) and now I'm kind of having buyers remorse after reading the turkey warble thread. Should I just return these right away, or give them a chance? I don't have much more budget than $160. They'll be going on a '06 heckler frame.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Rip Van Winkle
    Just use them.

mtbr member
    My best friend uses them on his '09 EX8. At first, he absolutely hated them and he was going to switch to Juicy 7's (which I have... and LOVE). He probably has about 20 miles into them now and they're solid! They just have a break in period, they were really soft at first, now they grab and HANG ON! I'd say keep em, they're good brakes!

New (2008) Juicy 7's would cost you $220+ on Price Point.
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I had a set from 2006. They were great, also had a set of juicy 7's (2008) and not a problem with them either. Similar performance, but the 7's have the pad adjustment which I quite like.

I'd give them a chance.

AKA Dr.Nob
    Mine work fine and always have.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

banned
    Had a set, they worked, but always gave some sort of trouble, and noise wasn't one of them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I had a set and got rid of them. They worked well and had enough power, but I was getting inconsistant free travel in the lever.

banned
    That was one of my issues. They were temperature sensitive. I tried everything, including changing the bleed procedure to make sure I wasn't overfilling, and nothing worked. When it was cool out, the levers would go to the bar. When it warmed up mid day, all was fine, until they cooled again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just bought some second hand (2006 version I think) and they're rubbish compared to my formula Oros (K18 and K24).

Pad changing is a nightmare and modulation is poor. Plus they rub with new pads, even with the pistons pushed right back and fluid removed. Still I only paid 30 with rotor so can't complain too much ;-)

For the same price I'd get K18s...

Rip Van Winkle
    I myself hope to pick up a set of barely used 5 or 7's off a disgruntled owner for cheap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you got them cheap, keep them. They are very powerful, almost on-off which some like. I had seven's and the noise, pad rub, and dot fluid that ate paint off the lever all contributed to me selling them (did I mention pain the rear pad replacement?) I also tried many different pads (compounds as well) to alleviate noise.

That said some people love them and would not choose any other. Guess it's like saddles. Me, I like shimano's (xt's) that some say are not powerful enough but they man up when pulled, modulate great, pad replacement is easy, can use 6-bolt or CL rotors, are quiet when pulled, and pad rub is easily adjusted out (plus they use mineral oil).

But like I said I have a friend with juicy ultimates and loves them.

mtbr member
    I had 08' Juicy 5's previously. They didn't seem to work very well. One of my pistons was sticking a tad causing a MAJOR vibration that I could feel in my feet. So I said hell with them and ordered a new set of 7's for $200. The 7's are amazing, simple as that.

banned
    One of the keys in getting Avid brakes to perform well is throwing their alignment instructions the **** out. The problem is they made people believe that their brakes- a safety item, are inconveniences if they take more than 30 seconds to set up per caliper.

Take the time to align them using the rotor window and center it in the caliper. Don't align with respect to clamping the lever and tightening. This way, most of the time, you'll have a slow, dragging piston and the alignment is based off that, not the proper positioning of the rotor. If you have a slow piston, just align it properly, and eventually that piston will loosen up.

addict
    I have Juicy 5's and 7's and have had few problems. Take time to set them up properly and bed in the pads. Using organic pads on my 7's was the best thing I could have done, should be quick and easy to change pads.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have a 2006 set of J5s and have been running them no problem for three years in BC. They've survived Whistler and many rides on the North Shore. Sure they sometimes make noise, but not much. I'm finally replacing them with Elixirs because I want something new!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Take the time to align them using the rotor window and center it in the caliper. Don't align with respect to clamping the lever and tightening. This way, most of the time, you'll have a slow, dragging piston and the alignment is based off that, not the proper positioning of the rotor.
    Hayes gives you the same instructions. They seem to assume tightening the caliper bolts doesn't rotate the caliper and that their pistons travel evenly to begin with....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thank you all for your input. Since it seems completely hit or miss I'm going to give them a shot because damn it, I just want to ride!!

I'm going to have someone else build my bike (I don't have the tools) what would you recommend I tell them to get a proper alignment?

Thanks again dudes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My 08 Juicy 5's have worked flawlessly and seem to have bags of power. I was prepared not to like them, but have been won over by their reliability and performance. Fitting the pads is easy once you have done it a few times, it just needs you to take a little care when pushing them into place to make sure they are in the correct position. Push them firmly down until they "click", and you're done!