mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Avid Juicy 5 with alligator Aries Ti disc ?

Hi I have a 2008 Trek Fuel EX8 , when i bought my new rims the store owner suggested that i upgrade the Discs. Originally the bike had Avid Juicy 5 with 185 mm front and 160 mm rear. The guy changed them to Alligator Aries Ti 180 mm front and 160 mm rear. I went riding for a few days but i notice the bike is not braking as before, it brakes but not as hard and i have pull hard on the levers. Then i went to the store and the guy changed the pads in front because they were cirstalized he also removed the washers in the front caliper to compensate for the 5mm change in size. I went riding again twice and still the braking is not as before. My questions is i have to use different pads, or maybe this disc is not compattible with my avid juicy five or maybe i need to re blled the system. i am tired of going to the store and they tell me to ride and they will work after a few days. My buddys have tried it and they say its not supposd to be like that. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
    thanks

Rub it............
    The shop is correct. It takes a few rides for the brakes to bed in, so that braking is optimal.
    Especially with new pads AND rotors.

Take your bike to a small hill. Pedal down and apply the brakes very hard, until just before wheel lockup. Do this 5-6 times. Then park the bike. Let the brakes cool down naturally overnight.

The next time you go out riding, braking will be around 85-90%. Then just by normal riding - another 2-3 rides - your brakes should be around 100%.