mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well Avid Juicy 3's Squealing

Hello everyone,

As the subject suggests, I'm having a common problem with my Juicy 3's Hydro Disc's on my '07 Giant XTC2. The rear brakes squeal everytime I use them, for quite sometime now, and I'm sick of the loud noise and the vibration that runs right through the bike every time I apply them, even at very low speed. I've searched the web (and these excellent forums) for answers and have tried the following:

Sanding the pads
    Cleaning the rotor with isopropel alcohol
    Reaplcing the pads
    Applying a 'Disc Brake Quiet' product (tacky rubber substance) to the rear of the pads to eliminate vibration.
    Tightening the spokes on the wheel and
    Moving the caliper/pads further from the axel and the method for thighting the caliper in Whangen's excellent post in this thread (Update me on the Juicy pulsing/stuttering problem) even though its for Juicy 7's.

The bike shop has tried to fix it each time I've taken it in for a service (ie beedling the brakes etc.).

The problem is so easy to reproduce I can do it by walking the bike forwards and applying the brake. So weight (my weight) or the frame are probably not causing the issue. However, its interesting it won't squeal when I move backwards... The rotor is mounted the correct way.

I haven't touched the rotor itself as yet. It may not be true, even though I can't really tell by eye but its probably the only thing left to fiddle with. I suppose I could get a new one next or is it worth swapping it with the front rotor? The rotor is a Avid factory fitted 160mm size.

Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Todd
    AUS

AKA Dr.Nob
    I had the same problem with 7s a couple of years ago. Changed the pads to alluminum backed ones and they work great now. I don't know why this fixed the problem but it did.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks mate. I'll look into getting some 3rd party pads to replace the genuine avid's as see if that helps.

Todd.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Have you tried....

having the mounts on the frame faced? Had a problem with a set of bb7's a while back wigh squealing. Turns out that the mounts on the frame in the rear weren't concentric to one another. Not enough off to set up rub, but enough that the tri-align mounting system couldn't compensate enough to get the pads quite square with the rotor. So the leading edge of the out board pad was making contact with the rotor first and setting up a squeal. Got the frame mounts faced and evened up and a new set of pads, reset the caliper and no more squeal. I've since taken to facing the frame mounts on any mass produced bike, even if it looks like it might have been done already. Mass producers, if they do face those mounts, usually do it before the frame is painted. Even a coat of paint over the business end of the mount can cause problems. You might want to check into it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks squash will check that out when i next have the bike upside down. Will order a new rotor also, can't hurt to have a spare if its not causing the problem. Anyone know if I require a genuine avid or if I can go a shimano or hayes etc, if they are any better?