mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Avid Juicy 3's - Scary Brake Fade

I was out for a hilly ride today. About 40 minutes into it, my rear brake started to fade. I thought it might be the rotors heating up, but none of the descents are longer than 15 minutes. To get any power out of it I had to pump the lever quickly, which worked about half the time.

The brakes are Avid Juicy 3's on a 2007 Gary Fisher Hi Fi Plus. I had them serviced about 6 months ago and haven't put a whole lot of miles on the bike since then.

The sudden lack of power was a bit scary. Does the line have an air bubble ? Is it time to replace them ? I'd like to keep the brakes but it might be more cost effective to get a set of BB7's.

mtbr member
    If your "pumping" the brake lever to get the brakes to work. Then I suspect air in the system and a fresh brake bleed is needed.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ya that's what I thought was going on. I've barely ridden the bike since I had the brakes serviced so I must not have gone to the right shop to have the work done....

Is it common to bleed a set of brakes less than a year after they were serviced ? I'm trying to figure out if the shop did something wrong or if this is typical of Juicy 3's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't think you should assume the shop did it right, unfortunately. You could try a different shop if possible, perhaps tell them another shop may not have bled it properly, and see how it goes. Or learn to do it yourself.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    You should also check for leaks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For some reason, there are lots out there that still don't understand how to properly bleed Avid's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I think I am going to take it back to the shop that did it, and get them to bleed the rear brake again. I have put less than 200 miles on the bike since I had them serviced.

Since I don't plan to have them work on other things I need, I am wondering how to approach this shop to tell them their work was not done right.

Arghh this is frustrating.

Rub it............
    Might be time for a rebuild. Juicy's haven't been in production for almost 4 years now. I just replaced my Juicy 7's for SLX's because of the fact that even with 2 system bleeds, the front brake would still go soft after 6-7 rides. I suspected that the seals inside the master cylinder needed replaced as there was air getting into the system.

It was cheaper for me to just buy new brakes then to rebuild the master cylinders and calipers.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixbikes View Post
    I think I am going to take it back to the shop that did it, and get them to bleed the rear brake again. I have put less than 200 miles on the bike since I had them serviced.

Since I don't plan to have them work on other things I need, I am wondering how to approach this shop to tell them their work was not done right.

Arghh this is frustrating.
    A lot can happen in 200 miles of riding. We're he brakes working fine before? If they were I don't think you should assume the lbs did a bad job. I think you should bring it inane tell them exactly what is happening.before that you can remove the wheels and pads, check the hose junctions and the pistons and the lever for leaks.