mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Avid Juicy 3 SL Brake Squeal

Hey guys,

I have already searched for this but was unable to find anything specifically related to the Avid Juicy 3 SL brake system. Alright, so I just bought a 2011 Rockhopper Pro 20er and am already experiencing brake issues. My rear brake has a god-awful squeal (but still stops fine) and my front has a gobble going on. I dont know what to do. I took the pads out and they seem to be fine (as far as wear goes). Any suggestions? I am willing to upgrade my rotors and or brake pads. Thanks guys

davidcarson48
    Swiss Stop pads will fix you right up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've had horrible luck with my last few sets of Juicy and Elixer brakes. I think it's the rotor cut. I ended up using Hayes rotors and they ran quiet after that. Avid even gave me a new set of rotors and organic pads. The pads only lasted 300 miles in the dry desert so I went back to metallic pads and they worked fine with the Hayes rotors.

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    I got Juicy 3s on my Caffine 2 29er. They really suck
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

Jacob 34:19
    Try doing a search in the brake forum. Lots of info about squealing Avid brakes there. Regardless of wheel size.
    I buy stuff from Milltown Cycles.

mtbr member
    Sanding the rotors with medium grit usually helps stop the squeel. Pinch a sheet of sandpaper over both sides of the rotor and spin the wheel.

mtbr member
    I have Juicy 3s and 2 sets of wheels. One has the original rotors (cleansweep), and squeal like a pig. I upgraded to alligator windcutter rotors on the other set, and they are much quieter.

mtbr member
    There are 15 pages of almost useless information in this thread.

The Juicy brake turkey warble/vibration MEGA THREAD

When I tried sanding my rotors there was a significant drop in braking power. Careful.

I actually called Sram tech support to see what they had to say. The person I got said the squeal comes from not properly braking in the system. The rotors need 10 slow downs from medium speed to walking speed. Then do 10 slow downs from high speed to walking speed. Once you let the rotors cool you are then ready to ride. If this process is skipped the pads and rotors need to be replaced because the rotor did not pick up enough material from the pads.
    Sram sent me new G2 rotors and organic pads and this has been working well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I actually called Sram tech support to see what they had to say. The person I got said the squeal comes from not properly braking in the system. The rotors need 10 slow downs from medium speed to walking speed. Then do 10 slow downs from high speed to walking speed. Once you let the rotors cool you are then ready to ride. If this process is skipped the pads and rotors need to be replaced because the rotor did not pick up enough material from the pads.
    Sram sent me new G2 rotors and organic pads and this has been working well.[/QUOTE]

SRAM gave me new hard wear also. Then I went over the bars when my pads were completely gone in one month and didn't modulate any more. It is suprising that a company gives away so many rotors and pads to help and it still doesn't work until you use another companies rotors. The bedding in process doesn't help either.

I'm done with SRAM brakes. I'm going to XTR's now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sram/Avid explains the bedding / break-in procedure in their service document pdf. I followed their process exactly and it worked well. I've been satisfied for 4 months now. All other methods were only short term fixes.

mtbr member
    You have a sticky-piston or your caliper/brake pads are not aligned spaced evenly around your rotor.