mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Avid Juicy 3 SL Brake Squeal

Hey guys,

I have already searched for this but was unable to find anything specifically related to the Avid Juicy 3 SL brake system. Alright, so I just bought a 2011 Rockhopper Pro 20er and am already experiencing brake issues. My rear brake has a god-awful squeal (but still stops fine) and my front has a gobble going on. I dont know what to do. I took the pads out and they seem to be fine (as far as wear goes). Any suggestions? I am willing to upgrade my rotors and or brake pads. Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    5 dollar fix. Buy a can of brake cleaner. Blast the calipers, shielding the hubs with paper towel from overspray. Use the same paper towel to wipe down the rotors. Then go out and break-in the pads on yer street. Repeat a few times. Juicy pads take a helluva long time to bed (about 2-3 long rides).

The spraying washes out grit from the break in process.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Bing!, I have ridden my bike probably 30 miles so far on hard trails only. From what I have gathered, they should be broken in already. Do you think they are broken in?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by xcracer450 View Post
    Bing!, I have ridden my bike probably 30 miles so far on hard trails only. From what I have gathered, they should be broken in already. Do you think they are broken in?
    Personally, it took about 3 long rides to break in my own Juicy 3. That includes a 4 mile long descent with at least 1300 feet of lost elevation.

And its not just the breaking in. Youve got to wash out the grit. Buy the spray. Its cheap. Blast the calipers and try what I told you. It will squeal incredibly at first for a few seconds after the first blast. Burn it out. Repeat as necessary. Theyll quite down. Then take it to the trail. As I said, it will take a few rides to get it to permanently stop the squealing.

When you wash the bike with water, the brakes will squeal again. Youll need to blast them again.

FWW, I once rotated my brake pads from front to back to balance the wear. The squeal and gobble came back. I was able to get rid of the noise and vibration again repeating the steps I mentioned.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ok,Ill give it a try. I have to get them back together first. I cant figure out how to re-assemble them.