mtbr member

Avid Juicy 3 On Sale

Ok I'm on a tight budget I need new hydraulics my Hayes So1e aren't cutting it anymore. I've use the Juicy 3's before and I really like how they feel. I was curious why they got such bad rating on mtbr. What sets them apart from say higher end avid's and say xt's? These would be going on my Sette Reken. Nothing to extreme. What do you guys think about them. And why the low ratings on here? Thanks guys.

Cheers
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    I found them on sale full kit for $70 each. I figured that was a steal.
    Mary ss shenanigans

not really an mtbr member
    Well, the few things that jump out at me:

1) construction- they only have a split clamp instead of a two-piece like the higher end ones, so you have to take your grips off any time you mess with them. as well, they just don't feel as well made.

2) the 5s and above has this nice little "click" so that when you take the wheel off the chances of accidentally hitting them are lessened.

3) they're heavier.

and the last thing- i think they're ugly.

mtbr member
    Ok so you like the 5's over the 3's. What would you recommend for max $150 for one set? Is it just worth it to look at getting the BB7's? They seem pretty damn reliable, I haven't heard anything negative about them.
    Mary ss shenanigans

Calm Like a Bomb
    u could easily get juicy 5s, 7s and possibly carbons for $150 usd used....lots for sale on pinkbike....the canadian dollar sucks so u could get a very good deal

here's all the juicy brakes for sale (j3, j5, j7, jcarbon, jultimates)

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list...q=juicy&page=1
    Carbon Wilson
    Carbon Troy

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

avid juicy 3s overheating and noisy?

i am running avid juicy 3s on my 2008 intense spider as they came with the build kit.

doing normal cc stuff and not very steep downhill, there is no problem

when coming downhill for more than 20 minutes or so, they start to screech and make all sorts of noise. i thought the pads were worn but, there is a lot of pad left. i think they are overheating. it seems after they cool off, they seem normal, decent stopping with no noise
    as when disc brakes make excessive noise, it make me nervous

i am inclined to upgrade to either juicy 7s or shimano xt to get more stopping power

should i go for larger rotors as well?

i do mostly moderate downhill, and xc

zaskar1

Joey
    Mar 2008
    I had Juicy 3's earlier this year on my All Mountain Set up. They were ok and got the job done. Then I rode Diablo Free Ride park with them and they didnt do as well as I planned. They were perfect XC brakes but once you start hauling ass down a mountain they are not the best. So I did some research and saw the new Elixirs c's!!! They were at a good price to. Im a mechanic at a shop so I did get to buy them whole sale for $70 each. I got an 8inch front and 7 rear. I fricken love them. They have the best feal out of all the avid brakes!!! Out of all the Juicy's they are the most powerful to!!! The feel sexy and i would recomend them to anyone!

Joey

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

avid juicy 3s cant do downhill

joey

thanks for the info, you confirmed my suspicion that the j3s just cant hold up to
    any sustained usage for coming downhill.

i will have a conversation with my LBS to determine if a brake and/or rotor upgrade is appropriate.

zaskar1 (chris)

Joey
    Mar 2008
    Ya, im not bashing them or anything. Im a huve fan of Avid and I support Sram%110. I just think if you are going to do anything All Mountain or more, then they arnt the brakes for you. When I went up on the first trip to Diablo this year I took a few runs down on my friends SX. he had Juicy 5's on his setup and I noticed a huge difference in stoping power. Thats all I talked about. So I told him that I would have new brakes for the next trip and I did! I say if you are going to buy a set, get the Elixirs. They cost about the same as 5's and are lighter than the 7's. They also have grater stoping power than any Juicy's. I think the only thing that stops better is Codes!!!

Joey

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'd rather get BB7s for the price, unless the more frequent adjustment turns you off.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by golfinjoe24
    They were ok and got the job done.
    Yep - that about says it. I've had them for 2 seasons. Last year they were on a FS / XC bike and I ran a 180mm rotor. I had all kinds of issues with them, and the shop said that they weren't recommended for use with a 180mm rotor.. (???)

So I moved them to my SS bike w/ 160mm rotors. I have to fiddle with them a lot more than I would like to, but they still work "OK and get the job done."

I wouldn't recommend buying these retail. You can get LX M575 from Jenson w/ levers for under $100 which are a far superior brake. If you're willing to spend more, you have even better options.

Joey
    Mar 2008
    ehhh, I would not use bb7's for anything other than xc. just not enough stopping power. i will say they are really great brakes and really nice, but if your doing All mnt and anything higer stay away from them

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

suggestion from LBS

i talked to my LBS where i bought the bike and they said either it is an adjustment, or the j3s cant handle the downhill and are overheating.

at the suggestion of another LBS, i did try an adjustment, made sure the axle is aligned, loosened the brake mounts, compressed the the pistons and pads on the rotor and tightened it. did not help much.

alternatives could be the pads are glazed over, a bigger rotor or some other brake system.

i am kind of surprised as i weigh 154lbs and this bike is suppose to be about 27lbs. so the j3s cant handle 180lbs coming down the hill for more than 15mins or so.

i guess i will bring it into where i bought it as they are pretty reasonable folks, the only want to sell you something if you want it. i have never gotten any pressure from them to buy anything.

zaskar1

Meh.
    Different pads may be able to reduce fading. A flush and bleed with fresh high performance DOT fluid could help.

You may also need to re-examine your braking techniques. Don't drag them.