mtbr member

Avid Juicy 3 - rotor drags on inboard side...

I have a set of Avid Juicy 3's, and just with the front brake, the rotor started dragging on the inboard side. I tried resetting the pistons, but everytime I do that then reset the caliper alignment, the same thing happens - no space between the pad and the rotor on the inboard side. I pulled the pads and gently pumped the lever to check for free piston movement, and it looks normal. So before I take this to the LBS to get looked at:

Could air that somehow got in the line cause this?

Any other suggestions to try and correct it myself?

Thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    Crap. Just looked at the lever again and noticed a drop of brake fluid dripping out of the reservoir area....

mtbr member
    You need to remove the pads. Gently squeeze the brake lever a little to expose some of the piston not too much you don't want to pop the piston out. Clean the piston. I used a q tip to smear rubber grease on the piston. Use 10mm ring spanner to push pistons back in. Reinstall pads.

This is covered in a Avid pdf document on there web site. here page 20
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47
    Crap. Just looked at the lever again and noticed a drop of brake fluid dripping out of the reservoir area....
    Thats no good
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi
    You need to remove the pads. Gently squeeze the brake lever a little to expose some of the piston not too much you don't want to pop the piston out. Clean the piston. I used a q tip to smear rubber grease on the piston. Use 10mm ring spanner to push pistons back in. Reinstall pads.

This is covered in a Avid pdf document on there web site. here page 20
    Thanks for this. During bleeding, I find out that I have a stuck piston in each of my calipers. Any idea where to get the new o-rings that they list? It says I need new o-rings for the banjo bolt and some square edge o-rings. I have Juicy 5's.
    Last edited by Ferdball; 03-26-2011 at 03:49 PM.
    Don't forget to unswerve!

mtbr member
    QUOTE=mitzikatzi]You need to remove the pads. Gently squeeze the brake lever a little to expose some of the piston not too much you don't want to pop the piston out. Clean the piston. I used a q tip to smear rubber grease on the piston. Use 10mm ring spanner to push pistons back in. Reinstall pads.

This is covered in a Avid pdf document on there web site. here page 20[/QUOTE]

Thanks as well. I found a brand new front system for $55 shipped on Ebay so I went that route. Where does one find rubber grease anyway? Auto parts store?

mtbr member
    Rubber Grease, Yes from an Auto store.

You can get some super deals on Juicys which makes it cheaper to buy a new set than to service old ones and you get new pads and a rotor as a bonus.

mtbr member

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CK0D18

Found a caliper rebuild kit on amazon for $38. I couldn't find a new brake system for $55, so this seemed like a good deal. I have Juicy 5's.
    Last edited by Ferdball; 03-26-2011 at 03:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

this is the kit that says it's for a Juicy 3...

http://www.amazon.com/Avid-Caliper-r...ef=pd_sbs_sg_1
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

mtbr member

What about...

Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi
    Rubber Grease, Yes from an Auto store.
    Thanks. Is it bad for the seals to use a drop or so of DOT 4 brake fluid on the pistons for lubrication? I have heard of people doing that with Shimano systems (mineral oil of course for Shimano brakes).

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdball
    Thanks for this. During bleeding, I find out that I have a stuck piston in each of my calipers. Any idea where to get the new o-rings that they list? It says I need new o-rings for the banjo bolt and some square edge o-rings.
    Juicy threes do not use banjos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchD
    Juicy threes do not use banjos
    To clarify, I have Juicy 5's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47
    Thanks. Is it bad for the seals to use a drop or so of DOT 4 brake fluid on the pistons for lubrication? I have heard of people doing that with Shimano systems (mineral oil of course for Shimano brakes).
    That's what I did with the pistons and the square edged o-rings. I can't imagine installing them in there dry. I hope this doesn't hurt.

ang
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Been reading the thread about Juicy 3 problem, so there is something wrong if the piston cannot retract?

When I pump the lever, the right side piston does not move, the left side piston does move however, it cannot retract and I have to use a wrench to force it back.

Now the pads are rubbing the disc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ang View Post
    Been reading the thread about Juicy 3 problem, so there is something wrong if the piston cannot retract?

When I pump the lever, the right side piston does not move, the left side piston does move however, it cannot retract and I have to use a wrench to force it back.

Now the pads are rubbing the disc.
    Yes you have a problem.
    You need to clean and lubricate the pistons see my post at 3.
    Also a brake bleed might be a good idea.

If that doesn't work. A full rebuild may be needed. Then a new brake set may be cheaper.

mtbr member