mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Avid Juicy 3 Rattle

I've got a set of Juicy 3's and the front pads seem to be rattling, it is especially bad when leaning the bike when turning. It isn't the metal clip on the back of the caliper as I've tried taping it and the rattle is the same. I removed the pads and the spring clip and the noise went away. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution? The rear doesn't seem to have this problem. The forks are Dart2's if that makes any difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Did you forget to install the H-spring that sandwiches between the pads?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    Did you forget to install the H-spring that sandwiches between the pads?
    No, I installed the H-spring. The rattle has been there from the day I bought the bike and it's only 2 months old.

cougarbait
    are you sure it's not fork flex causing the rotors to hit the pads??
    the dart is very flexy
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdamaster
    are you sure it's not fork flex causing the rotors to hit the pads??
    the dart is very flexy
    It's a really metallic sound. At first I thought it was a loose bolt but it's not, that would be too easy. I don't think it's the rotor hitting the pads. Unless they are touching just enough to cause the pads to rattle inside that H-spring? Maybe tonight I'll try taping the spring to the pads somehow.

cougarbait
    is it possible that your spring was somehow bent inwards and is not putting enough force on the pads anymore??
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Same Problem

Weird I just posted the same question. I didn't realize someone had alright asked the question. I know exactly what your talking about. It is like a metal-jingling type of noise? Mine does it when going faster speeds, most noticable on pavement. It gets louder when I lean my bike or turn sharply. My bike does it with my new Avid BB7 brakes. I got it to get a little bit better by re-adjusting the caliper per the Avid instruction manual. It doesn't do it as often now. Please tell me if you figure out what the problem is. I'm so sick of listening to it. haha.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWaydown
    Weird I just posted the same question. I didn't realize someone had alright asked the question. I know exactly what your talking about. It is like a metal-jingling type of noise? Mine does it when going faster speeds, most noticable on pavement. It gets louder when I lean my bike or turn sharply. My bike does it with my new Avid BB7 brakes. I got it to get a little bit better by re-adjusting the caliper per the Avid instruction manual. It doesn't do it as often now. Please tell me if you figure out what the problem is. I'm so sick of listening to it. haha.
    Yes, that is exactly what mine is. Most noticable on pavement at higher speeds, and you can make it rattle by turning sharply. I haven't figured out how to fix it yet, but will let you know if I figure it out.