mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Avid Juicy 3 questions

I am new to disk brakes and have some questions.

I am getting a second set of wheels and have to get some new rotors with them. I was thinking about getting bigger rotors for the front and use the old 160mm on the new back tire. The question is do you have to use only Avid rotors or are there other options out there.

The other question is how do you know the pads are wearing down. Then the same question do you have to use Avid pads only or can you get other brands. Are there other pads that are better or worse?

ride hard take risks
    Galfer rotors & pads are awesome.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/149...e-Pads-Red.htm

Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    you can use other rotors on the juicy brakes just remeber when you get a larger rotor you get the same sized adaptors. Some disc are like 180mm while others are 183mm so they would use diffrent adaptors even though its only 3mm.

For pads yes you can use aftermarket pads as long as it is formated/built to fit your calipers

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks alot, that helps a bunch.

I found a great deal on hayes rotors. The question is can you go too big? The v7 are $50 for a set of two and the V8 are $53 for a set of two. I was thinking of going with the v8 since its a small price difference and either way I have to get a adapter to fit my Marzocchi All Mountain 3 shocks. From what I can tell based on a few other threads I would just need to get the Hayes Post mounts for the v7 or v8 rotors and I would be good to go.

Am I missing anything else?

ride hard take risks
    Rotors & adaptors your good to go!!

MTB disc pads are very thin new your best bet is to buy a set to have for when the time comes & you will know what your looking at for pad wear.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    your good, i would reccomend the 7 inch for most riding but if you want the bang for the buck price get the 8 inch

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The new rotors should be here tomorrow. Do I need to replace the pads at the same time. The pads are basically new, used twice on easy rides down the beach and one single track downhill ride. Also anything else that should be done when replacing the rotor?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by mfoga
    The new rotors should be here tomorrow. Do I need to replace the pads at the same time. The pads are basically new, used twice on easy rides down the beach and one single track downhill ride. Also anything else that should be done when replacing the rotor?
    Pads will be fine just go ride & have fun.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for all the help I got the rotors on both rims today. I had a little bit of a hard time getting them to align correctly for both rims but I was able to finally.

ride hard take risks
    Thanks for all the help I got the rotors on both rims today. I had a little bit of a hard time getting them to align correctly for both rims but I was able to finally.
    Awesome job

When your ready for new pads check out the Galfers, they are amazing!!
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    lets get some pictures in!!!

Linoleum Knife
    I had a little bit of a hard time getting them to align correctly for both rims but I was able to finally.
    FWIW - I have a set of the Juicy 3's, and was running a 180mm rotor in the front. I developed a rubbing issue after a couple rides, and was always readjusting the caliper. I took it to the LBS who contacted SRAM. They said that they do not recommend running 180mm rotors with the Juicy 3's. Something about the lower end calipers not being manufactured to the same tight tolerances as the 5's and 7's.

Now I have them on my newly built SS with 160mm rotors. No more rubbing.