Thread: Avid Juicy 3

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Avid Juicy 3

I recently bought a pair to put on my bike. When I got them I accidently pulled the handle and the pads in the inside instead of being set to have enough room for the pad to go into now reset to a position that does not allow the whole caliper to even go over the disc. How do I reset the pad position so I can get the whole caliper to fit over the disc? Thanks.

Pry the pads apart without damaging them, careful use of a screwdriver or similar. Read the disc brake FAQ in the uppper right corner of this page....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    There was like a yellow plastic piece that came with the rear brakes that kept the pads spread. The front didn't have any piece. So I used the plastic piece to spread the pads and eventually go them to slide over the rotor but they drag on the rotor still. Is there anyway to reset them all the way to there furthest out position. When I squeezed them by accident in the first place it is like the pads reset to being closer together?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Take a screwdriver and pry them ALL the way apart, not JUST enough to get the disk in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I used the spreader that came in the rear pads. I pryed them as far apart as possible. I put them on and they are much better however, when I got to spin the wheel it spins pretty freely but makes a sound like the brakes are dragging a little bit? How do I fix this? Sorry for all the newb ?'s I am new. I tried what Avid said. Loosen the bolts that mount to the fork then squeeze the brake like 5-6 times then hold down then tigheten the bolts. Still resulted in a little noise. What shoud I do?

Go ride?
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The pads are dragging a little though? Should I just mess around with the CPS thing Avid has to see if I can get a better position?

Go ride the bike for a while and see what happens, seriously. Messing around with the caliper alignment will only get rid of drag if it's not centered over the rotor now.
    suum quique