mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Avid Juicy 3.5 160mm to 203mm rotor

Currently have Juicy 3.5 with 160mm rotors, on post mount shock (Tora), as I weight over 260lbs have purchased the 203mm Clean Sweep 2 rotor and the adapter mount, CY4B01 (Avid Caliper mounting bracket).

The guy in the shop swore blind I could use the same bolts....turns out (I think) he was talking nonsense.

Has anyone done said conversion and could they post a pic or tell me if I need longer bolts, or know of a fitting guide online ? I also need to know where the washers and spacers go.

Many thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Yes for a post mount 203mm adapter you will need longer bolts since the adapter for a post mount is in line with the brake mounting tabs on the caliper. The adapter is simply a longer "spacer" that spaces the caliper further out from the post mounts on the fork. So longer bolts are required. The guy at the LBS musta been smokin' crack!

For the CPS hardware configuration go here, http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...e_7_Carbon.pdf . The washers etc. are configured the same for all Avid disc brakes so the manual doesn't really make that much difference. But it's there right on the first page. Or you could look at your rear brake, the configuration is the same. That is unless you pulled the rear brake too!

As for what you'll need for bolts, if you want to go with Avid hardware, you'll need a CPS Hardware kit for 203mm rotors. The kit comes with a complete set of CPS washers and the longer bolts. Not a bad idea to have fresh washers or some spares around.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The 185mm adapter uses longer bolts. The 203mm does not, it uses two sets of short bolts.You bolt the adapter to the fork without CPS washers and then you use the 165mm CPS set to bolt the caliper to the adapter. At least in my case

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchD
    The 185mm adapter uses longer bolts. The 203mm does not, it uses two sets of short bolts.You bolt the adapter to the fork without CPS washers and then you use the 165mm CPS set to bolt the caliper to the adapter. At least in my case

I was just writing what you basically said out, when I got the email alert the thread has been replied to again. Thanks for your info. It took me a while to figure it out, not because I am necessarily stupid but because I believed it used just one set of bolts, and possibly the original ones.

Thanks also to Squash for the lengthy reply, I think the info you provided might apply to another type of Avid, but I don't know.

I had some high tensilbe bolts the exact sixe I needed (they were for a bench sander, but were unused), also had the washers. The only downside is they are not allen (hex) but spanner type head (whatever the technical name for that is), but they were more of less spot on.

Here is a piccie of the finished article....the 'new' label is the adapter bolts, and the 'orig' labels are the old bolts. (Obviously).

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    My bad, the others are correct! I just thought about it and had to take a look. You do use two sets of bolts for the Avid 203 adapter. Both are the standard 160mm length. That's what happens when I post before my second cup of coffee!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Members who have read this thread: 2