mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Avid Juicy 160mm to 203mm conversion

Am I correct in assuming that the only difference between the 160mm and 203mm is the size of the rotor and an adaptor bracket? I can't find any shop with the 203mm in stock due to the Avid buyout by SRAM. So I'm wondering if I order the 160mm Avid setup and use the 8" hayes rotors I already have on the bike, will it work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skettio
    So I'm wondering if I order the 160mm Avid setup and use the 8" hayes rotors I already have on the bike, will it work.
    The Avid calipers will work with hayes rotors. However you will still need the proper adapter to hold the caliper. I say order the correct item from the start instead of patching stuff together. Are the hayes brakes completely shot and preventing you from riding?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

In a word yes

I have Hayes HFX-9 and the lever for the front brake self destructed. For whatever reason the lever will not hold fluid. I'm guessing the master cylinder is broken. I can bleed the lines completely and when I squeeze the lever all of the fluid exits from somewhere inside.

The LBS where I bought the bike is a bunch of idiots. They have nothing to do with trying to fix it besides taking it off the bike and sending it back to Hayes, just like with my Sherman fork. LBS, "Wow, never worked with one of these before, we'll have to send it back"

I don't want to deal with the Hayes anymore and was contemplating an upgrade to the Juicys. You can't get the 203mm anywhere, so I wanted to buy a set of 160mm and then just buy a set of 203mm rotors, and adapter brackets.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skettio
    Am I correct in assuming that the only difference between the 160mm and 203mm is the size of the rotor and an adaptor bracket? I can't find any shop with the 203mm in stock due to the Avid buyout by SRAM. So I'm wondering if I order the 160mm Avid setup and use the 8" hayes rotors I already have on the bike, will it work.
    You are correct in that the above will work. Plus, I believe if you have the Hayes 8" adapter, that will work with the Avid caliper as well. Give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Yes it works

Just installed my new Juicy 7s and got the first ride under my belt. Damn these brakes rock. I was able to install the Avids along with the Hayes rotors and adapters with absolutely no problems. The quality of the Avids is heads and shoulders above the Hayes. The levers are nice and sturdy and have a significantly better modulation feel than the Hayes crap. I love the Avid calipers with the return springs for the pads. No more rubbing because of a sticky piston like my old HFX-9s.

To sum up the process:

1. I had Hayes 8" HFX-9s on my bike stock

2. Purchased 160mm Avid kit for $320

3. Installed the Avid levers and calipers, while still using the Hayes caliper adapters and 8" rotors

4. Off to ebay with the old Hayes gear