mtbr member
    May 2006

Are Avid Juicey pads replaceable?

Or do you just toss the whole caliper and get a new set
    I've followed the instructions but can't get the old pads out.
    Any secret tips?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by snailbike
    Any secret tips?
    Dang, it's not even April 1st yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Actually you're supposed to throw the whole bike out. It's not just the pads that wear but the headset, tires, shifters, damn near everything! If you try to stay on top of it replacing stuff as it goes along you'll go bankrupt. Much cheaper to just get it all new in one fell swoop from the OEM.

Experienced mtn bikers know enough to take their bike to the nearest LBS and leave it outside with the trash from the empty bike boxes. Just lean it up and walk inside to get another one.

If you're really foolish you might take it inside and get charged $60/hr to do stuff to it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    wow! do you guys work for Avid? you're just as helpful as the instructions.

not really an mtbr member
    They're both right...but if you wanna be a cheapskate and constantly risk your bike imploding you could try grabbing needlenose pliers and using them to pull the tabs in while you pull the pads out.

And if you're gonna stay here at all you need to have a little more patience. Have some fun!

mtbr member
    Any secret tips?.
    Yes. They are replaceable.

The Avid Juicy 7, Juicy 5, Juicy 3 and BB-7 all install the same way.
    The Juicy Ultimate, and the Code's are more of a pain.
    The Elixers have top extracting pads.
    The BB-5's push out from the top.

First: Get new pads. BB-5's are circular, and every other Avid model is a rectangle.

Second: If you have Mechanical brakes (BB-7) use the dial on the caliper to back the pads all the way out. This is essentially pulling them away from the rotor to make room for the new pad. For BB-7's there are two pad adjustment knobs and on the BB-5 there is one. The pad contact adjustment is the red circular thing on the side of the caliper.

For hydraulic brakes, grab a flat head screwdriver and gently push on the pads, you should feel the hydraulic pistons retract, do it on both sides. After it retracts move on to the third step.

Avid Juicy 7, Juicy 5, Juicy 3 and BB-7:

Third: Get a small pair of needle nose pliers and gently pull on the tab attached to the pad that is bent, it should be the right pad. This tab is on the outside of the caliper and is right next to the disc when the wheel is installed. After pulling it out, the other pad and the spring should remain in. Repleat the step with the other pad, and the spring should fall out with it.

Fourth: Get your new pads, remove the small tie that holds them togeather, but dont seperate the pads and the spring from eachother. Now that you have them already in the order that they will be installed in, figure out which side is left and which is right (indicated on pads). After the side is determined you need to slide the pads in. This may require a little force to get the small square groove in the back of the pads to match the piston. Push them in until they give a distinct "click." To make sure that they are in *VERY* gently pull on the tabs that stick out. If they stick to their position, they are in, if they easily fall out, repeat the installation until they are in. This may require you to use an object to push the pads in, use a material that wont bend the tabs on the brake, like a block of soft wood. This requires force because the top of the pads have to push into the silver piece on the top of this caliper:

Fifth: Put the wheel back on. For Hydraulic brakes, simply pull on the lever to build the hydraulic pressure which will push the pads into the rotor. They will then retract to allow the rotor to move freely. For BB-7's readjust the red pad contact knobs until they have the modulation that you like. You may need to adjust the caliper to make sure that the rotor is centerd inbetween the pads. To do this Grab a 5mm allen key and unscrew the Caliper Positioning System (CPS) bolts. Then grab the lever to re-center the rotor inbetween the caliper. Keep holding the brake lever and tighten down the CPS bolts. After the CPS bolts are tight the rotor should be centered and not drag on the pads.

Avid BB5's:

First: same step as above

Second: Push the pads out with the pads that stick out of the top of the caliper.

Third: Do the same as the other by keeping the pads togeather when you pull them out, figure out which is right and which is left. Then push the pads up into the caliper making sure you get the same distict click as you would with the other brakes.

Fourth: Readjust the red pad contact knob until the right pad is pushed out a little bit. After you have pushed the pad out a few clicks on the adjustment knob you will need to adjust the cable tension on the caliper. To do this Grab a 5mm allen key and unscrew the CPS bolts. Then loosen, dont extract, the cable bolt. Pull the cable tight to achieve the modulation that you like with your brakes. Tighten the cable. Then grab the lever to recenter the caliper inbetween the rotor. Keep holding the brake lever and tighten down the CPS bolts. After the CPS bolts are tight use the red pad adjustment knob for super fine adjustment of the pad.

CPS bolts are to two that screw into the adapter, or the fork if you have a post mount fork. I am assuming that you have an adapter. In the picture its the two bolts that you cant see the tops of.

If you need more explanation, I can help. Just ask or PM me.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks Amill for the detailed info. (Also thanks Bruce and Deme for the humor and extremist for reminding me to be patient)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    For as cheap as the BB7 have become, they are almost disposable..
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    wow! do you guys work for Avid? you're just as helpful as the instructions.
    Honestly, what'd you expect with such a question? If you had instructions on how to replace it - wouldn't it be safe to assume that they're replaceable? You can ask how to replace them and state your specific problem. - You ask a clowny question, you get a clowny answer. It is wrong to expect otherwise.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sorry, I was going for sarcastic and bitter, not clowny.
    Actually I thought the first replies were clever.