mtbr member
    May 2009

Avid Juciy 5 question

My Avid Juicy 5's all the sudden while riding became really tight, still had great stopping power. But the lever is very tight. Also there is like a unravaling spring sound when I brake hard, I took the wheelset off and everything seemed fine to me (not mechanically savvy person) but I don't want to ruin anything. Any suggestions?
    2008 Trek EX 8
    "Natural devotion may be enough to attract us to Jesus, ... but it will never make us disciples."

29 some of the time...
    How old are they? How do the pads look, worn? Did this happen after an extended period of braking? I can't think of anything that sounds like you are describing. Only time I have heard weird noises from a caliper it is due to worn pads, a caliper misalignment, or the return spring rubbing on the rotor. Put the wheel back in and watch to see if the pads hit the rotor evenly or if one pushes it sideways. Also check to make sure whey you squeeze the lever that the rotor isn't being pulled/pushed into the caliper body.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Like the previous post mentioned.....it really sounds like your rotor is brushing up on the H-Clip that spreads your pads apart. It will only happen when you apply the brakes with force. The protruding H-clip could also be jamming the pads and preventing them from closing all the way and that would explain why your lever feels tight.

Find out which brake is the problem one and then with the wheel off take a flat-nosed screwdriver and spread the pads apart as much as you can. Usually you need to do one, then the other using a rocking motion to gently push them apart.

Then take the pads out and inspect them and the H-clip. If the clip is mangled you could try to bend it back to its original shape and check your pads for wear while your at it.

Do not depress the brake lever while the pads are out....you'll move the calipers closed and you'll have to manually spread them apart again

http://cgi.ebay.com/Avid-Juicy-7-5-3...ayphotohosting
    Last edited by osmarandsara; 06-10-2009 at 02:54 PM.