mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Avid Jucee Brake Pads stuck....

Hi,

I can't get my wheel back on !

I took my front wheel off because i was getting a lot of disc rub. This is nothing new, I always have disc rub problems but it was a bit worse than normal because I'd taken the wheel off to put my bike in the car. (I always find it a pain adjusting it to minimise rub whenever I have to take the wheel off for punctures etc).

This time, I couldn't get the disc back into the caliper/piston slot. I may have accidentally hit the brake lever but I'm sure I've done that before and had no problem wriggling it back open. This time, however, I just can't seem to open up enough space to put the disc back in. It's not as if I can see the space but can't move the pads, I just physically can't see how it could ever had fit in that space even when I press the pads aside with a screwdriver as a lever.

I've taken the disc off completely for now but need to get it back on somehow.

(Rockhopper with Avid Jucee hydraulic brakes)

I've tried taking pics but they don't come out too well

View image: P100613 19 22

View image: P100613 19 22 [01]

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ps - reading up on this I'd like to say the problem is that the pistons won't retract but I don't want to pretend I know what I'm on about, get it wrong and confuse the problem

mtbr member
    If you've hit the brakes while there was no disk (with the wheel off), one piston may have over extended because the other one is stuck. If this is true, you'll need to remove the caliper, separate the halves, remove clean and lubricate the pistons, then reassemble to get the brakes to work again. If you do this, it's worth replacing all the internal parts with a parts kit unless the bike is really new.

This sort of stuff is the price of hydraulic disk brakes. Worth it to me to be able to stop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    If you've hit the brakes while there was no disk (with the wheel off), one piston may have over extended because the other one is stuck. If this is true, you'll need to remove the caliper, separate the halves, remove clean and lubricate the pistons, then reassemble to get the brakes to work again. If you do this, it's worth replacing all the internal parts with a parts kit unless the bike is really new.

This sort of stuff is the price of hydraulic disk brakes. Worth it to me to be able to stop.
    Well, I managed to wedge it open with a metal ruler, enough to be able to fit my "red wedge" in the gap. I then started pressing the brakes to open it up a bit more, in doing so I managed to get the red wedge stuck, snapped it as I pulled it out... and a there was a bit of an oil spillage. I'm sure something fell out too (the seal?). Anyway, now the brake lever has no resistance and pulls all the way to the handlebar. Oops.

passed out in your garden

Re: Avid Jucee Brake Pads stuck....

Quote Originally Posted by parkinpants View Post
    Well, I managed to wedge it open with a metal ruler, enough to be able to fit my "red wedge" in the gap. I then started pressing the brakes to open it up a bit more, in doing so I managed to get the red wedge stuck, snapped it as I pulled it out... and a there was a bit of an oil spillage. I'm sure something fell out too (the seal?). Anyway, now the brake lever has no resistance and pulls all the way to the handlebar. Oops.
    You have the same mechanical skills as me.

Sorry dont mean to make light of your situation.
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    You now need a juicy rebuild kit for your caliper. The kit has new pistons, square edge seals for the pistons, a new O ring for where the fluid moves between the caliper halves, a new bleed port screw and O ring, a new pad retention spring, a new pad return spring, and new bolts with preapplied anti seize compound. I got mine at Universal Cycles. The Avid support guy went the extra mile and emailed me with the part numbers of the appropriate kit and I searched on Google. Even if you don't fix it yourself, try to get the proper kit number ahead of time to ensure that the LBS orders the right one to do the work. By the way: should be <$30.