Ricky Bobby

Avid hydraulic disc brake question

I bought an 8" Avid G2 brake rotor and I want to use it with an Elixir R front brake. I also bought a 7" Avid G3 brake rotor to be used in the back. But, it will be used with a Juicy 7 rear brake not an Elixir R rear brake.

Is that going to work?

Or put another way; can I use G2 and G3 rotors with an Elixir R and Juicy 7 setup, respectively?
    Last edited by mville_mtnbiker; 10-30-2008 at 08:41 PM.

Ricky Bobby

Nevermind

I'll just run it this way and if it works, it works. If not, then, hey, at least I'll know the answer!
    Last edited by mville_mtnbiker; 10-30-2008 at 02:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Avid only makes....

three different rotors, the G3 clean sweep, G2 clean sweep and the Roundagon. All of their rotors are compatable with any of their brakes, no worries. Now mixing and matching of Avid brakes with rotors from other manufacturers can be problematic. But as long as you are using Avid rotors they'll be compatable with your brakes.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    I thought I read somewhere that G2's are for Juicy and Code brakes. G3's for Elixirs. Not sure if it matters which you use as long as the pads engage the right part of the rotor. G3's have a nice design for what it's worth
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

huffin' n' puffin'
    I use hayes V8 rotors with juicy 7's on my DH bike...oh the horror! j/k

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by HTail
    I thought I read somewhere that G2's are for Juicy and Code brakes. G3's for Elixirs. Not sure if it matters which you use as long as the pads engage the right part of the rotor. G3's have a nice design for what it's worth
    The G3 is actually a replacement for the G2. The G2 will eventually be phased out. And the Codes are still coming with G2 rotors. The only brakes that come stock with G3s currently are the Elixer and Elixer CR models.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"