mtbr member

Avid HSX rotors with M785?

I love the strength of my 785/ RT76 combination. Waaaaay stronger than Elixers I'd been used to .
    But, I don't like the squeal when they get wet, or when the humidity is high, or the pads get dirty or whenever- usually when close to being stopped speeds and or really honking on them, not when just lightly scrubbing speed. I've done the alcohol wiping, facing them on emery paper with hit or miss results. Organic pads seem better than stintered blend but wear fast, or I just change them out sooner to be rid of the noise.

I'm putting a new/switching out wheelset on the bike with the XT 785 brakes, and figured now is a good time to address the issue form another tact.

I thought about the RT 86 ice techs instead - but that is very close design to the 76's save the aluminum sammich thing.

Or Avid HSX's. I've had some OEM clean sweeps a couple years ago and they were warbely, but maybe the cross drilled Avid HSX would be better than slotted HS1? And of course dropping significant weight and blingy looks would be just icing, but the noise is my bigger concern.

I don't do extended downhilling, but do have many pretty intense but short braking situations where I ride - Santos.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Noclutch; 07-08-2012 at 05:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Avid HSX's and 2012 HS1's are normally silent, but they can squeal when wet. Not all of the time, and often just for the first second or so when you apply the brake after a bit of track without braking. The initial squeal seems to be there with ceramic, sintered and organic pads.

Pads do last a long time with the HSX / 2012 HS1 rotors. The HSX rotors are also comparatively expensive, so I've been predominantly using them with organic pads and they give plenty of power.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have been using the HS1 rotor with the M785 since last fall without any problems. The only time I noticed any noise was when the front caliper was leaking where the hose connects to the banjo and brake fluid got on the rotor. Other than that, havenít had any problems. Been very satisfied with the combination.

Plays with tools
    I've noticed a drop in braking power every time I've paired a shimano brake with an avid rotor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I've noticed a drop in braking power every time I've paired a shimano brake with an avid rotor.
    this is relative to my interests.. can anyone else expand on this?

I want to pair hs1 with xt 785