mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Avid HS1 rotors with BB7?

Has anyone tried running the new HS1 rotors with BB7 calipers? I read that there could be issues due to the different contact patch of the BB7 calipers vs the hydro pads the HS1 was presumably designed for. But no confirmation from anyone who has actually tried this combo.

Does anyone know if this combination works or if its suboptimal? How do the HS1s compare to the standard G2 rotors?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sorry, I found this thread:

New front Rotor for my BB7s?

According to drifter248, who tried the combo himself, the BB7s don't work so well with the HS1s (pulsing effect).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The problem is the BB7 brake pad has a taller radial profile than some of the other Avid hydraulic brakes. The outer edge of the BB7 brake pad tracks perfectly along the outer edge of the HS1 rotor, but extends beyond the breaking surface and onto the rotor spokes along the padís inner edge. The pulsing was much more noticeable with the front brake than the rear. Ran with the BB7/HS1 combination for about 20 hours, during which the pulsating progressively decrease, but found it was causing some extreme wear along the inner radius of the brake pad. Finally decided to remove the HS1 rotor and go back to the factory rotor. Also, when using the HS1 rotor I found the need to go from a 160mm rotor to a 180mm rotor on the front to compensate for some reduced braking power when using the HS1 rotor. I attributed that having only approximately 2/3 of the BB7 brake pad actually contacting the braking surface on the HS1 rotor, with the inner 1/3 contacting the spokes on the rotor, and thus providing little braking force.