mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Avid HS-1 Rotor with BB7 Caliper?

Hey all,

Just picked up a brand new Mavic 719 Wheelset yesterday and the guy upgraded his wheelset and brakes, so they came with HS-1 rotors. I am going to put BB7s on my Anthem as they're cheaper and I like the reliability and simplicity of the mechanical setup. Can I use these the two together, or do is there some difference between Hydraulic and Mechanical discs?

mtbr member
    No you should be good, just ensure that whatever rotor size, you either have the correct adapter on the fork and frame brake mount. i.e. If its an 180, 203 etc. that way the Caliper will be correctly aligned to the rotor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I thought the braking track on the HS1 was smaller than the G2 (which comes with BB7s)? I could be wrong, but some other threads have suggested the pads may wear on the rotor arms due to the BB7 pads be wider than the HS1 braking track. However, if it works and there is not any weird pulsing in the lever, then you should be fine.

Let me know how it goes as I have a set of HS1 that I got cheap, but didn't use because I thought they would not work with the BB7 brake pad width.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The HS1 does not work well with the BB7:

Avid HS1 rotors with BB7?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The short brake track of the HS1 is better for the smaller pads of Avid hydraulics or Shimano. The Hope Evo's and BB7 have a very tall pad (looks identical when you put them together, but the BB7 pad is wider). The Alligator Windcutter, Avid G2, and Hope rotors are a few rotors that have a taller braking track. As has been said, you can use the HS1, but it is more likely to squeal and become weak because of wear on the rotor arms.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I tried searching for this info, but didn't find what you guys seem to have found. Apparently my search skills are not Jedi yet, . Anyways, thanks for the responses, good to know. I guess I'll hold onto the HS-1 until I make my final decisions on the bike. I highly value the simplicity of the mechanical disc brakes so I don't see myself going with hydros, which means, I'll probably have a brand new pair of HS-1's for sale.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Do you already have the BB7s? If not, they come with G2 rotors. Check JensonUSA as they usually have good prices on BB7s. Blue Sky Cycling sells a kit with rotors, calipers, cables, housing, and levers as well. Best of luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ehwik View Post
    Do you already have the BB7s? If not, they come with G2 rotors. Check JensonUSA as they usually have good prices on BB7s. Blue Sky Cycling sells a kit with rotors, calipers, cables, housing, and levers as well. Best of luck!
    Thanks for the tip. I do not have the BB7's yet, but I do have the Speed Dial 7 levers already. I was planning to buy from PricePoint as they're local to SoCal I believe, but I'll keep checking pricing until I decide to make the purchase.

I did find the Alligator Sleek Glide cable kit on PricePoint last night, but only for shifters. Anyone know where I can find these for brakes? Looks like a nice setup. Anyone ever used them? Pros? Cons?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    seems to work fine with BB5's

though I;m gonna have to see if the pads rub on the rotor arms or not...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    seems to work fine with BB5's
    We're not talking about BB5s, they use smaller brake pads.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    BB5 & BB7 pads are the same height but BB7 pads are wider then the BB5 pads.

There's a post on the following thread that will give you an idea on the difference between the HS1 rotor and a G2 Cleansweep rotor, it shows a couple of different Avid pads too.

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/brake-rotor-question-836987.html

There's some posts and photos in the following thread that show similar stuff too.

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/rotor-break-other-qs-781736.html

Some people do use HS1 rotors with BB7's and have no problems.
    Some people have reported a pulsing feeling from using a HS1 with the BB7.
    I've never used a HS1 with a BB7 so I can't comment on the performance between the two but to me they don't look like they were made for each other.

mtbr member
    Well I will eat my words on this then, and take note.

But that is good to know for future referrence, SRAM Customer Support seems to think that they are compatible, yet maybe they are just technically "Un-informed" for lack of a better term. My thoughts on this were based on upgrading the discs on a Tektro (Mechanical Disc Brake) equipped bike with HS1 rotors.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by magnato1 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I do not have the BB7's yet, but I do have the Speed Dial 7 levers already. I was planning to buy from PricePoint as they're local to SoCal I believe, but I'll keep checking pricing until I decide to make the purchase.

I did find the Alligator Sleek Glide cable kit on PricePoint last night, but only for shifters. Anyone know where I can find these for brakes? Looks like a nice setup. Anyone ever used them? Pros? Cons?
    Jagwire Mountain Pro/XTR cable sets (my personal favorite since I had a customer request it--and getting harder and harder to find) are comparable, if you can't locate the Alligator set. Any time you come from using cheap housing/cables and switch to a higher quality setup, the difference is quite noticeable. Less binding (especially in the longer run of cable to the rear brake) overall, and tends to be lighter and better sealed, too.

Quote Originally Posted by drbelleville View Post
    Well I will eat my words on this then, and take note.

But that is good to know for future referrence, SRAM Customer Support seems to think that they are compatible, yet maybe they are just technically "Un-informed" for lack of a better term. My thoughts on this were based on upgrading the discs on a Tektro (Mechanical Disc Brake) equipped bike with HS1 rotors.
    The more important side of things is that you don't have the pad overhanging the top of the rotor. Ideally, yes, you would have just the pads on the braking track, but many brakes, in my experience, overhang onto the rotor spokes, if only a small bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    as for cables, I got the Nashbar disc cable set, which are actually Jagwire Ripcord compressionless housings without retail packaging and stainless cables (might not be PTFE coated cables). Enough to run full length housing for front and back. They are $12 and free shipping right now, I think. Just another option.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    As has been said on this thread, and almost every similar brake rotor thread, you can use most rotors with most calipers. I used the Avid Cleansweep X with my BB7's a few years ago with good results. But, the Cleansweep X brake track isn't tall and the rotor arms touch the pad. I think two piece rotors, like the Cleansweep X and XTR, are a little better at absorbing vibration.

The HS1 has been the worst of all rotors that I have used on my new Hope Evo's (same pad height as BB7). My HS1 rotor needed to be trued out of the package and it makes a lot of noise (maybe just a bad one). Fortunately, the HS1 does have a solid lever feel and it does seem to get rid of heat quickly as advertised. My friend's that run the HS1 with XTR and XT brakes have had better luck. I saved my HS1 to use in case I ever run Avid or Shimano hydraulics that have a smaller pad.