mtbr member
    Sep 2004

New question here. Avid hose barb and line delamination?

Just a quick question. I have done a bit of searching first but have not yet found a conclusive answer so maybe someone with a similar experience can chime in. I was shortening some avid brake lines tonight. Original line, new hose barbs, and new olives. The first hose barb goes in smoothly as did the olive and retention nut. Ok..thats too easy. Next up the hose barb is threading then suddenly I can feel the barb catching and the inner core of the hose\line twist inside the sheath. I tried to back the hose out and out came a nice twisted-off hose barb! Arghhh...I hate this kind of crap.

I know I am going to have to source a new barb which isnt a big deal. My bigger concern is trying to figure out if the line itself is actually screwed-up enough that it will not be usable? I read another thread where a guy was having brake fluid bleeding out of pinholes in the outer line sheath and the Avid tech guys told him that the outer sheath does have venting holes and that the fluid leaks were due to the line being delaminated and the fitting not being properly seated allowing brake fluid between the inner sheath and outer hose casing. So...my question is if I get another barb (or ten) and install it squarely and cleanly in the line am I doomed anyway since the inner liner has been twisted? I am hoping the inner sheath just floats inside the hose itself and that I can just install the new barb correctly and get my brakes bled and I am golden.

Any insight from those with similar experience would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Ok....I took a closer look at my twisted hose barb this morning and found that the barb itself was not twisted. The inner line tube, which is clear, had tightly wound itself to the point of twisting off. It was so tight it looked like the barb itself, but in the sunlight I could see the shiny core. I was able to use a razor knife to carefully cut the core off, snipped-off the excess damaged piece, and re-installed. All worked well, and although I could still feel a little movement of the inner core when installing the barb it sealed fine with no leakage issues. No new hose barb required and after a quick bleed the brakes are working like a champ! The bottom line is that the internal core can twist off when installing the hose barb,so be careful. The internal tube, which is clear, does appear to float loosely inside the outer sheath.