cpu
    mtbr member

New question here. Avid or Hope?? Help please.

Hi All,

Starting to piece together my 08 Heckler and I'm after your opinions on the narrowed down brake choices I have made.

Avid Juicy 7
    or
    Hope M 4,
    The reasons are simple, I like them both, probably not the smartest thing but at least it's positive.

if it helps, I do quite a bit of mixed riding, man made and natural trail, jumps etc, all in quite an aggressive manor, I'm around 85kg, rider weight.

Thanks

Carl

wyrd bi ful rd
    The Juicy 7 has 2 pistons whilst the M4 has 4. Based on your description of the type of riding you do, the 7 will be more than sufficient ... can always go 203/front & 185/rear ...

Personally I will recommend the XTs ...
    Last edited by chinaman; 12-31-2007 at 01:00 AM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    The Juicy 7 has 2 pistons whilst the M4 has 4. Based on your description of the type of riding you do, the 7 will be more than sufficient ... can always go 203/front & 185/rear ...
    The number of pistons has nothing to do with it. Lord, enough threads have outlined it. In fact, the two piston Gustavs and V2's are two of the most powerful brakes made, while on the XC end, you have the Marta and Mini, with the Formula Oro and it's renowned power in between. It depends on how the manufacturer designed it.

Anyhow, I have a few M4's, as well as other Hopes, and Juicies. If you're looking at the M4, I can guarantee that you will not be satisfied with the Juicy, from the poor build (it is cheaper, yes), to the potential of having annoying problems, as many do.

What is the plus of the M4? Awesome build quality, fantastic modulation, and excellent power. It really is a sleeper brake, considering all the press the bigger boys are getting. You have a huge choice of brake pads because it uses the same pads as the old 4 piston XT 755's. I use the m03 shimanos, which cost me less than $15 per pair. Another plus of the M4 and all Hopes is the ease of bleeding. I had the Avid/Formula kit with the syringes and it's ok, but nothing spectacular. With Hope, simply open the res, hold the lever lightly, poke the bleed valve at the caliper through some layers of folded paper towel, then crack the valve open. Pull the lever slow, close the valve before the lever reaches the bar. Release lever, start again. You can do it in under 5 minutes as a n00b or 2 minutes as an experienced user.

The M4's will cost, but I fully believe them as a better "investment" over the Juicies. They modulate way better, and have fantastic power. For "mixed" riding, it's hard to beat something that modulates, but gives ultimate braking power for the GNAR stuff.

banned
    Here are some shots of the M4 I installed on the front of my gf's bike:

And on the rear of mine:

Meh.
    Though I have not had any issues with my sets of Juicy brakes... I will agree with JC that the attention to detail and quality of the Hopes is excellent... much better than the Avid.

If you have used both and did not have any complaints about either... well then it depends if you're looking to go easy on the pocket or heavy on the bling.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'll likely be going up from my HFX9's next year and if one of the LBS' still has them, I'll likely go M4. My understanding is that they are quite finicky to set up and parts can be an issue up here in Canada, but if you're willing ot set them up right, they are a strong brake with gobs of modulation.

Avid makes a good brake, as many hear can attest to. I've seen plenty of them on the local trails and they do well. I'd say it depends on the circumstance, and as Will says, bling and budget.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

banned
    Mike,

Though I have only had one finicky caliper out of my eight total, basically if you spend the time to do it right and space everything out, it's a one time deal and you'll be in love with these brakes. I don't buy into Avid's thoughts that a brake should only take 30 seconds to set up. No way. These are your brakes.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm a perfectionist, JC....I don't ride until I have them set up right anyway. If it takes an additional hour, so be it

Besides, if I go the floating route, I can get the spiders to match and bling the bike some
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

cpu
    mtbr member
    Cheer Guys Thanks for all the replies.

Hope M4's it will be then, seeing as though I have the choice of either.

Carl