mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Avid G3 Clean Sweep with BB7 Road?

I'm sorry if this is an obvious question, but I tried calling SRAM and they are out of town until the 27th at Interbike (or something), so I thought I'd ask here.

I have been getting horrific squealing from my touring bike (Co-Motion Americano with Avid BB7 road and 203 mm Roundagon rotors). I tried changing to the Avid "organic" pads on the recommendation of a friend, who said that they were less noisy. No go - the back brake still squeals, and I bet when I do the big hill hereabouts (a 5 mile straight up to Kneeland here in northern California) then both will start squealing again. I have also cleaned the rotors with isopropyl alcohol, no change.

So I looked around and found people recommending the Clean Sweep for improved performance and less squealing. I found a pretty good price for the G3 on Amazon, and put my order in.

Of course, right after they shipped I happened upon SRAM's Avid website, where they seem to say that the G3 is for Elixir and X0, whereas the G2 is for the BB brakes.

http://www.sram.com/avid/products/g3-cleansweep
    http://www.sram.com/avid/products/g2-cleansweep

This gave me pause - have I ordered the wrong rotor? I see people talking about G3 with BB7, but is that an older version? Anybody know if the newest version of this rotor will in fact work with my BB7 Road?

Thanks!

Neil
    Last edited by neilgunton; 09-20-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Rub it............
    You can use the Clean sweeps without problem with the BB7's. Just make sure you get the correct size.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    You can use the Clean sweeps without problem with the BB7's. Just make sure you get the correct size.
    Thanks - I know I have 203mm rotors, that's not in doubt at all. So does anybody have a handle on why SRAM/Avid would make it look on their website as if BB7 is not compatible with G3? Why would they explicitly list BB with the G2, but not with the G3?

Rub it............
    Not sure on that part. Probably a marketing ploy. But regardless, the all work just the same. A co-worker just installed the XX Clean Sweeps to use with his Juicy 7's. And once I come into some extra cash, I'm doing the same.