mtbr member
    Feb 2008

avid fr-5 brake levers?

Hello - I need to buy some new brake levers for my mtb. I just bought some avid bb7 brakes so I need some brake levers that work well with them. I'm blacking out my mtb so I need black brake levers.

I've read some good reviews about the Avid FR-5 brake levers. However, I've read a couple of reviews saying that the angle of the levers didn't work well with gripshift. And I read 1 review (only 1) saying that the black finish wore off on the rider's fingers.

So I'm looking for opinions from anyone who has experience with the FR-5 brake levers used with BB7 brakes and grip shift shifters.

Also looking for suggestions on alternative brake levers for my setup if someone has had a good experience with other brake levers for my setup?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I love the FR-5's. I had the whole speed dial 7's and found them rather soft and squishy and the adjustments just made it worse, not better. the FR-5's were firmer, a good bit lighter, (not really a weight weenie but I'll take weight off when I can afford it), and WAY cheaper ..

don't do grip shift as i find it annoying to twist my wrist when hitting rough terrain so I can't say what that might change.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    I love the FR-5's. I had the whole speed dial 7's and found them rather soft and squishy and the adjustments just made it worse, not better. the FR-5's were firmer, a good bit lighter, (not really a weight weenie but I'll take weight off when I can afford it), and WAY cheaper ..

don't do grip shift as i find it annoying to twist my wrist when hitting rough terrain so I can't say what that might change.
    I have to agree here. I just replaced my FR-5 levers with SD-7 because they were supposed to be "better". I had the same experience as you. I think the FR-5's will be going back on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks guys - Sounds like you guys like the general quality of the FR-5 brake levers.

@dvn - do you use grip shifters or rapid fire? If I can get some positive feedback on the FR-5's from someone who has used them with gripshifters then I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on the FR-5's...

mtbr member
    The FR-5 are shockingly good. I actually took them off and put them on an older bike with Arch Rival V-brakes and was absolutely stunned by the braking power. For the price, they are unbelievable.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    @vespa - do you have gripshifters or rapid fire?

mtbr member
    Gripshift. The Fr-5's are short but they work.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks vespa - sounds like you're really satisfied with the FR-5's, even with gripshifters.

Seems like a no-brainer for me to give them a try, especially given the price