mtbr member

New question here. Is Avid fluid just DOT 4? Is it ok in Formula Oro's?

So I just picked up an Avid bleed kit for my Formula K24's. Can I use the Avid fluid that came with the kit - is it just DOT 4?

ForMula's use either Shell Donax or DOT 4.
    Avid's use either Avid Fluid or DOT 4.

Are these all just DOT 4?

Meh.
    They're all a glycol based DOT fluid. So go ahead, use the Avid fluid that came with it (as long as it's sealed and fresh). Next time you have to buy fluid though, go to a motorcycle or auto parts store and grab a bottle of Motul RBF 600, DOT 5.1, or ATE. You don't need the gigantic bottles... as you'll never use it all and it'll just have to be disposed of after the fluid starts absorbing moisture.

mtbr member

Good job! Thanks for the clarification Will!

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    They're all a glycol based DOT fluid. So go ahead, use the Avid fluid that came with it (as long as it's sealed and fresh). Next time you have to buy fluid though, go to a motorcycle or auto parts store and grab a bottle of Motul RBF 600, DOT 5.1, or ATE. You don't need the gigantic bottles... as you'll never use it all and it'll just have to be disposed of after the fluid starts absorbing moisture.
    Thanks for the clarification Will!

For many years I built / maintained custom Landcruisers for my business, so I go the moto / auto store route for my fork / brake fluid needs . I've been using DOT 5.1 in my Hope M 4's, but wasn't sure if I should use it in the Formula's as they don't specify it.

Meh.
    Landcruisers eh? You ever peruse the IH8MUD forums? My old shop teacher was crazy about his trucks.

I think Hayes still doesn't necessarily recommend the use of DOT 5.1... but it shouldn't be a problem. Most of those fluids will say that they are compatible and can be mixed with DOT 3/4 right on the bottle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Landcruisers eh? You ever peruse the IH8MUD forums? My old shop teacher was crazy about his trucks...
    Yup - IH8MUD is great! My "era" of heavy 'cruiser work ended in 2002, but my trusty old '89 FJ62 will be with me to the end