mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Avid Flak Jacket question

Okay, this may be a stupid question, but it's been baffling me for a couple of hours now....

I'm just finishing my build of my new Burner, and all that's needed is to run the cables for my Avid Mech's. I chose to go with the Avid Flak Jackets.

My problem is this: I just can't for the life of me get the sealed ferrules to fit into the cable stops! The aluminum ones that come with the cables fit quite nicely, but the sealed ones seem to be just a hair big (I can't even see the size difference between the metal and sealed ferrules with my naked eye). So I guess my question is, is this a common thing to see or are my cable stops just a little small? Is there anything I can do about this?

Any help would be appreciated. It really can't be this hard. It just can't.....

I've had ferrules that don't fit in stops before,

so I used ones that did fit, no biggie. Run continous housing and you won't have to worry about it at all. You could carefully drill your stops to be a bit bigger if those ferrules are that important to you...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

That's gonna leave a mark

Avid makes 2 sizes of ferrules

I rececently installed full flaks for the derailleurs and brakes. The darailluer cables are just a bit smaller diameter but small enough not to fit the brake lines. Maybe they got mixed up at avid.

The thing that really frosted my arse about the flaks was that the brake lines came with approximately 8 ft. of cable. no problem here more than enough cable to run full housings front and rear. The derailleur cables only came with approximately 6 ft. of cable. I was literally about 6in. short of enough cable to run full housings to the Front and rear derailleurs. Had to buy a whole new set of cable to run a top pull der. Not a problem on alot of bikes but with the trend going to full length cable housing it does pose a problem. On the upside I've got plenty of extra inner wire, housing, and ferrules for my derailleurs.