mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Avid feels like a canti brake?

My front 160 just doesn't have any stopping power. My rear brakes better than the front. I thought I may have contaminated the pads, so for the heck of it I put my old 165mm caliper/ pads & rotor - same braking. I am running XTR levers w/ Jagwire Mac Rattler cables . Front lever action feels fine just doesn't stop. I hadn't noticed any changes other than riding a little faster. The main thing that got me wondering was riding my buddies bike w/ V brakes - it slowed the bike a lot better. Any thoughts?

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    My front 160 just doesn't have any stopping power. My rear brakes better than the front. I thought I may have contaminated the pads, so for the heck of it I put my old 165mm caliper/ pads & rotor - same braking. I am running XTR levers w/ Jagwire Mac Rattler cables . Front lever action feels fine just doesn't stop. I hadn't noticed any changes other than riding a little faster. The main thing that got me wondering was riding my buddies bike w/ V brakes - it slowed the bike a lot better. Any thoughts?
    Could be a few things..
    pads maybe?

Also a properly setup v-brake will stop just as good in dry conditions my experience

mtbr member

Don't expect much better than a V

Especially in dry conditions (and arguably in wet with ceramic rims) a properly set up V-brake is as powerful as a 6-7" rotor. My Vuelta-Mags/Avid-Ultimate lever combo are true 1-finger brakes that can lift the rear if you so desire ... but ... no stopping with a disk means something is wrong ... sorry no suggestions

Flyin Canine
    I have noticed that v-brakes initial bite can feel better than disks riding around the street but that for me the discs felt much more powerfull out on the trail because they did not fade like the v-brakes. They actually feel better when they are hot. I have three sets of avid on three different bikes and I can nose wheelie any of them. Sounds like yours might need cleaning/tuning/more break-in.

mtbr member
    Not to restart a long dead discussion: but add ceramic rims and you have non-fading brakes
    Having said that: if only somebody made a front disk at 250 grams (with lever) I would switch ... just for the looks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If someone asked me about poor performance i'd say - check adjustment (inner pad as close as possible to rotor) pad/ rotor contamination, cable condition, Which levers, which pads. I never extensivly ran anything larger than 6's . I tried my freinds Hayes 8's and could nose wheelie @ will. My 6's won't nose wheelie. I was going to use the 8's for comparison but the V's were a closer match.