Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    cowbell
    Yeah, they need to try something different for you Knobby, because SRAM came through for me. kcvpr is spot on. Yes, I have the new brakes. I've ridden the bike, and everything finally feels right. The new brakes are XO Silvers. They had the shop ask me if "those would be ok" since they didn't have identical replacements available.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Back at the start of this thread, I asked the following:
    - Does the little bolt (pad pin) that keeps the brake pads and spring from falling out of the caliper come with the replacement pads?

- The Elixr 1s use a cotter pin in place of the pad pin that is used on all of the other Elixr models. No doubt, its a little cheaper with the cotter pin, and 1s are the entry level brake, so I understand. But I'd find it hard to pull a cotter pin out and replace it on the trail unless I started riding with some needle nosed pliers. So I'd like to make my Elixr 1s take the pad pins like the other Elixrs. I think that I have to thread the hole for the pad pin. Has anyone else done this? If so, any idea which tap I need?
    So here are the answers:

- Avid brand pads come with the pad pin, a cotter pin, and the spring as well. Some other brands, Kool Stop for instance, do not have the pad or cotter pin included with them.

- The threading on the pad pins is M4x0.7, coarse metric thread. I had the correct tap in my Craftsman metric tap and die set. Only the outboard hole needs to be threaded, and it did not need to be drilled out larger before threading. Piece of cake to do!

So, my Elixir 1s now have the pad pin installed like the rest of the Elixir brake models.

squish, squish in da fish
    nice work JoeG. i've had my elixir 1's in the shop 4 times and the last time avid warr'd them with XO's. i'm guessing mine fell into the date code. i was expecting the same model and was going to sling 'em on flea bay to buy XT"s, but will ride these as they have a new warranty. when these fail then i'll get XT's and never use avid hydros again. oh and yes the fronts were giving me all the probs mentioned earlier

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Yeah, they need to try something different for you Knobby, because SRAM came through for me. kcvpr is spot on. Yes, I have the new brakes. I've ridden the bike, and everything finally feels right. The new brakes are XO Silvers. They had the shop ask me if "those would be ok" since they didn't have identical replacements available.
    Looks like someone talked to someone at Avid about this, and I apparently am getting a set of Elixir 3s. They're no XO's, but they'll do ! Free upgrades are nice, but I just want my brakes to work properly.

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Knobby View Post
    Looks like someone talked to someone at Avid about this, and I apparently am getting a set of Elixir 3s. They're no XO's, but they'll do ! Free upgrades are nice, but I just want my brakes to work properly.
    That's pretty much exactly what I told my LBS. I just want them to work right. It was very difficult trying to explain to my LBS what was "wrong" with my brakes, and it took some determined trouble shooting with the SRAM guys on the phone, but once they realized what was going on, they were quick to offer up a solution. I think the replacements they send are based on what they have "available" at the moment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Avid Elixr 1 Questions

Where do I look on the caliper for the date? I looked earlier, but I didn't see anything.

squish, squish in da fish
    Quote Originally Posted by fripple View Post
    Where do I look on the caliper for the date? I looked earlier, but I didn't see anything.
    take it off

cowbell
    Well, it's going to be on the bottom of the caliper. It's not entirely hidden by the mount adaptor in my experience, with a good light and the right angle, you can read the date without taking the caliper off. But otherwise, you may need to do like fish said, and take it off.

mtbr remember
    good info, I'll be checking some of mine once I get home!
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvpr View Post
    Anything that falls between the code 1may12B and 21sept12B written on the caliper is up for the service bulletin.

It is due to an undersized o-ring in the lever body

I can post pictures of the tech doc when I get home from work if necessary.

Just wondering how one should go about getting replacement of their Elixir 1's if the date code falls between those dates?
    Local Spec. dealer has no clue of bulletin...
    Did you have to send back your Elixir 1's??
    Any info or tips are much appreciated, thanks.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI View Post
    My replacements came with a preprinted return label, so we're sending them back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Both of mine pulled to the bar on a ride tonight. Less than 2 months old.

Now I gotta figure out whether to send them back as a warranty (they'll probably bleed them and send them back), pay the LBS to bleed them, buy a bleed kit and do it myself, or just spend more and buy other brakes. Hmmm...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Inform your local bike shop of the service bulletin, and have them call avid on your behalf. Assuming your brakes fall into the date range I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI View Post
    Just wondering how one should go about getting replacement of their Elixir 1's if the date code falls between those dates?
    Local Spec. dealer has no clue of bulletin...
    Any info or tips are much appreciated, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The fact that they have lost lever feel alone would make me say warranty, since they're only two months old. Take your bike to the shop you bought it from and explain the problem, they should be willing to help you out.

Both of mine pulled to the bar on a ride tonight. Less than 2 months old.

Now I gotta figure out whether to send them back as a warranty (they'll probably bleed them and send them back), pay the LBS to bleed them, buy a bleed kit and do it myself, or just spend more and buy other brakes. Hmmm...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I saw this ad for a "new improved" Elixir 1 brakeset on ebay, if that means anything.
    New Improved 2012 Avid Elixir 1 Hydraulic Disc Brake Set HS1 Rotors 160mm White | eBay
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    I saw this ad for a "new improved" Elixir 1 brakeset on ebay, if that means anything.
    New Improved 2012 Avid Elixir 1 Hydraulic Disc Brake Set HS1 Rotors 160mm White | eBay
    Probably not. Especially considering the product year listed in the description.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    That ebay seller is mentioned a fair bit in the following thread.

Rotors "striping"

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Got the bike back from the LBS on Friday. All that they did was a bleed. They said that there was a lot of air in the rear brake.

I rode it both Sat and Sun and the brakes felt fantastic!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am seeing so many negative threads about Avid's and everybody seems to love their Shimano's. I am just starting to have the squeal issue with mine, and I think I should start reading the writing on the wall, and make the jump now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GradedOnACurve View Post
    I am seeing so many negative threads about Avid's and everybody seems to love their Shimano's. I am just starting to have the squeal issue with mine, and I think I should start reading the writing on the wall, and make the jump now.
    Most of the time people only post on the forums when they have issues with a certain product. So naturally with that information, a proper summary of a particular brand of product cannot be made.

I personally have had very good luck with a more than a few sets of avid brakes. It just has a lot to do with how they are set up, and maintained.

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by GradedOnACurve View Post
    Where's the question? Actually, the problem I've had most with sound had to do with adjustments, or rotor type. I've found my Ashima's make much less noise than my Avid rotors did with both my BB7's and my Elixirs. My XO's haven't made a sound. I'm pretty certain I don't understand what "everyone's" problem is with Avid brakes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2