mtbr member

Avid Elixir's or Juicy 5's?

I am currently debating between getting a Trek Fuel EX8 or an EX9. I know there are quite a few differences between them but one of the differences is the breaks. Elixir's on the EX9 and Juicy 5's on the EX8. I currently own a 2007 EX8 with Juicy 5's and I like them a lot, but I was wondering what you guys thought of the Elixir's.

Thanks!
    "A Fifth of Yager, a four pack or Red Bull, and a full suspension mountain bike, now thats quite a combo."

I like to ride my bike.
    No more Top Fuel?
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    There's the Fuel EX and also the Top Fuel line.

29er Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun91
    I am currently debating between getting a Trek Fuel EX8 or an EX9. I know there are quite a few differences between them but one of the differences is the breaks. Elixir's on the EX9 and Juicy 5's on the EX8. I currently own a 2007 EX8 with Juicy 5's and I like them a lot, but I was wondering what you guys thought of the Elixir's.

Thanks!

The elixrs are amazing. Ran them on a friends bike for 3 weeks and I loved them. Had the J5s on my personal ride (used to have hopes but the bling needed to go to make room for a new ride LOL). The Elixrs CR and Rs are both fantastic brakes. I don't fiddle with contact point etc so the Rs are what I have now. And as you know the J5s are a solid performing brake....but the Elixrs have more power and better control than the Js.
    unityhandbuilt

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I just rode my bike with Elixr CR today for the first time. I am really excited to ride them on some real trails. They feel great and are powerful. I'll post up a review in a couple of weeks when the snow goes away!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by leggatt
    I just rode my bike with Elixr CR today for the first time. I am really excited to ride them on some real trails. They feel great and are powerful. I'll post up a review in a couple of weeks when the snow goes away!
    ^Yeah what he said, the elixirs are great brakes. Far better than any other hydro I've tried.