mtbr member

Avid Elixir XO Trail frustration

These brakes came stock on my new bike. They look great and seem like they'd be killer brakes. Same old Avid. After bedding them in to transfer pad material on the rotor it seemed promising, then the ride came. Turkey gobble, honking, vibrations through the bike The factory bleed was not real good either, but as good as it gets because 3 bleeds later and nobody can get them them to feel any better. Slightly mushy and underpowered.
    Avid sent new rotors after I called about the noise but they didn't help. Anybody else struggling with these yet? I did all the tricks, a little polylube behind the pads, innertube wrapped around the stays (it stopped the honking but not the turkey gobble in the rear) I replaced them with new Zee brakes from Shimano which have been exceptional. For what the bike cost and how much the brakes cost it's not acceptable. It's time to stand up to sub par products on high end bikes.
    Last edited by verdugomountainlocal; 10-18-2012 at 05:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have a set of Avid XO's on my Trek Slash and they are nothing but a headache. I was thinking about switching to Saints, the Zee or XTR. How do you like the Zee brakes overall? Are they as good as advertised?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am with you, I came from a $1000 Trek Mamba with Shimano brakes that never did anything other than stop awesome everytime to a $3500 Specialized Epic with Avid Elixir 7 that make so much racket that someone the trail said it sounded like a UFO was behind them, after about 15 minutes of riding I lose braking power to the point of either being on or off, no modulation in between,

I did do some testing the other night and it is the pads for sure, I plan on putting new pads on this weekend but like you said that is unacceptable on a $3500+ bike ib my eyes. Specialized said it is not their issue and to have my LBS contact Sram and get them involved.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My XO Trails have been flawless. I was given these brakes so I have no need to justify my purchase and honestly, am not an avid fan after travails with the Elixir's. That said, these new trails are marginally better than the XT's on my wife's bike.

That said, they seem to be finicky and inconsistant with quality otherwise you would have constant threads like yours stating there are issues. I would personally buy shimano if I was spending my own money.

mtbr member
    How do you like the Zee brakes overall? Are they as good as advertised?
    The Zee brakes are unreal. Excellent lever feel, better modulation than Xt's and REALLY strong. I have total confidence in the Zee's. Also the set up was a snap and I was able to trim the lines easilly without a bleed. Got about 5 rides on em so far. i'm sold. I went 203 front and 180 rear with ice tech rotors.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have the xo tail and they are great,remember to break in brakes you cant do it on a ride,i broke mine in by doing the suggested 20-30 stops from 11-20mph and then left the bike in the garage till the next day,brakes have to fully cool down if they don't more than likely you will have glazed pads which lead to screeching and poor stopping power.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce219 View Post
    I have the xo tail and they are great,remember to break in brakes you cant do it on a ride,i broke mine in by doing the suggested 20-30 stops from 11-20mph and then left the bike in the garage till the next day,brakes have to fully cool down if they don't more than likely you will have glazed pads which lead to screeching and poor stopping power.
    Did the bed in prodedure, The main noise is reverb, not a brake squeal.I can live with the turkey gobble that never goes away. The power is not up to par for a 4 piston brake. Avid needs to re think their brakes though since the competition doesn't require such a bed in process to transfer pad material. Maybe they can do this at the factory and save the end user from this task. The new 4 piston Zees work so much better it's not even close.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My XO Trail also flawless. I have been using it for 3 months now -in wet, dusty and hot tropical climate. It came with Organic/Alu backplate pads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by verdugomountainlocal View Post
    It's time to stand up to sub par products on high end bikes.
    avid sram is a scam. Nice shifters and derailleurs but that's it. The chains stretch and wreck the other components within a few hundred miles. The cassettes bend and chip. F@c#ers think you will just buy more of their garbage at a quicker rate.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    +1 .. sram brakes sucks.. And have for 3 or 4 generations now.. I keep thinking "they will fix it this time" and they just come out with brakes that squeal and rub and BS around.. I know a few guys have had good luck, but there are whole threads on sram brake problems-- so its not just a few that are inflicted.. Though im happy for the few that they work great with.... The shifters are ok(though i enjoy my xt's better then my xo's).. I do like their cranks(tough the bb is only so so and the chain does stretch way to early)..I had a sram 1080 casette's top gear just roll over and bend to a 90degree angle while i was going uphill-- not even shifting... Hmmm now i think about it-- i really dont like sram lol.. Im so happy with my xt brakes right now-- im thinking about upgrading to the saint/zee just for even more goodness..

mtbr member
    ...and i just bought a pair of trails...
    Banshee Paradox V2
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LT

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by SB Trails View Post
    +1 .. sram brakes sucks.. And have for 3 or 4 generations now.. I keep thinking "they will fix it this time" and they just come out with brakes that squeal and rub and BS around.. I know a few guys have had good luck, but there are whole threads on sram brake problems-- so its not just a few that are inflicted.. Though im happy for the few that they work great with.... The shifters are ok(though i enjoy my xt's better then my xo's).. I do like their cranks(tough the bb is only so so and the chain does stretch way to early)..I had a sram 1080 casette's top gear just roll over and bend to a 90degree angle while i was going uphill-- not even shifting... Hmmm now i think about it-- i really dont like sram lol.. Im so happy with my xt brakes right now-- im thinking about upgrading to the saint/zee just for even more goodness..
    I only run their shifters and derailleurs. Shimano chain, cassette and cranks.

On the other hand, I always get Avid brakes working really nice. I have Juicy 7's on my bike, Juicy threes on three bikes and Elixir 1's on my son's bike and they all work mint.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The only Avids I had that were bad were a set of the original XX that just had very little power, and I've had just about every model released. I've had enough experience around other people's brakes to know they have some issues however.

Just a note - spending more money on bike parts is more likely to have issues as it is all about weight savings. Just get it out of your head that spending more money definitely = reliability.
    Lets face it, Formula 1 cars cost millions and only last 1 race if they're lucky.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    That said, these new trails are marginally better than the XT's on my wife's bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've been riding with a set of Avid Trails now for 14 months and they've been mostly brilliant. Sure, I get the Turkey Gobble when they're wet, which is irritating, but they stop like nobody's business, they resist fading and the rotors have stayed straight as a die. I agree that the first thing you need to do is give them a proper bleed, though. Then bed the pads in exactly as Sram says, and you shouldn't have any problems.

My only issue is that while I can dial in the contact point adjustment, I can't for the life of me figure out how to adjust the lever reach: can anyone help me out?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I changed out the garbage on/off XTs that came on my Bronson with XO Trails. They are completely noise free and have the best power and modulation I've ever felt. Worth every dime I paid to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've never liked avids. But then I came across a post in this section about fixing brake squeal. People we're wrapping zip ties around the rotor and it went away. So I tried it on my XO's. I did 15 miles today and they never squealed once. I'm still amazed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The post is down the first page it's called cure for break squeal. Freakin zip ties!