Kaishingo

Avid Elixir Seal Question

I've been having some issues bleeding my relatively new Elixir 5 brakes. In a nutshell, the brake is firm for the first few minutes of the ride, then begins to end up back at the bar. Air is obviously still trapped in the system, and I'm going to work at it more tonight.

However, one nagging thought - the seal on the bleed-port cap (little torx cap on the lever & caliper) is slightly shredded. Each time I take it off, another "string" of rubber begins to come off. Fluid is not leaking out here or anywhere else on the system - should I be concerned about this? Could air be leaking in through here?

My current thought is that this cap is a pretty minor seal in the hydraulic system. And so long as enough rubber is there to cap the system, I can continue using. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wuzilla
    However, one nagging thought - the seal on the bleed-port cap (little torx cap on the lever & caliper) is slightly shredded. Each time I take it off, another "string" of rubber begins to come off.
    I have older Elixirs and the rubber seal on my lever torx cap is shredded too. I don't think that's your issue.
    Is your rear brake mushy and the front is fine?
    How hard did you pull up on the syringe during the bleed? I'm pretty sure if you pull up too hard on the syringe, you can suck air into the system through lever area.
    Did you hear a very high pitch wheezing sound during the bleed procedure?

And lastly, what are you using for brake hoses?

Yeah, I've had some issues w/ my Elixirs

Kaishingo
    I spent last night bleeding and re-bleeding. It's amazing how much air the master cylinder can hide! I followed a SRAM tip I found on the interwebs where you "flick" the lever (repeatedly pull on the lever and letting it spring back on its own) - that definitely worked to release all sorts of pretty bubbles.

I think I got the air out - lever is firm and still firm after hanging from the bike from the front wheel overnight. Had a little scare last night where I thought brake fluid was seeping from a piston - but 98% sure it was just overflow from the bleed cap.

Oh, and to answer your questions, no wheezing sound (I'm assuming you're checking for a lever/master cylinder seal leak), and factory hoses.